BRAW flashing media offline

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

lushloader

BRAW flashing media offline

PostFri May 01, 2020 3:04 am

Good evening all! Have the following issue, wondering if y'all have ever run into this.

I'm working with several BRAW clips at 60FPS. When I play them back in Resolve, either in media pool, or on the timeline, the "media offline" error message flickers in and out throughout the clip. When playing back via the Blackmagic player, the clips seem fine. I have taken the below troubleshooting steps and the problem persists:
-Rebooted computer, program, began a new project, etc.
-Relinked media and moved media to my local SSD as opposed to my RAID
-Set resolve project/timeline frame rate and clip frame rate to 60FPS across the bored
-Set resolve project/timeline frame rate and clip frame rate 24FPS across the bored
-Set resolve project/timeline frame rate to 24FPS and clip frame rate to 60FPS
-Tried to transcode from BRAW to ProRes via media encoder (with the help of the braw studio plugin). This totally bypassed resolve. The transcoded clips flashed in and out at the same places that the media offline screen appeared in my project. Except, instead the screen flashed solid red, blue, or green throughout the clip. 
-Deleted Resolve cache and turned off media optimization

The closest forum link I have found on the subject is : https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103854&p=589618&hilit=BRAW+60fps+BRAW#p589618
However, the above link offers no solution as to how to fix the issues.

Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks in advance!
Caroline Oelkers, Atlanta GA

TommyShelton

Re: BRAW flashing media offline

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 pm

This is driving me insane! No matter what I have tried to fix the issue, .braw files with 8:1 all of a sudden will not play in the timeline without flashing "Media Offline". They play beautifully in the .braw player. Older files with the exact same settings will play. I changed 8:1 to 12:1 on my camera. The only setting I changed - these new files play fine in the timeline. Change back to 8:1... the files glitch "Media Offline" in the timeline. What in the world!?

TommyShelton

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 8:47 pm

PLEASE BLACKMAGIC! Any feedback on this. PLEASE. I CANNOT use any new .braw files in Resolve since this issue surfaced. All new files play fine in player - but glitch "Media Offline" in Resolve. I've changed and adjusted more settings than I can remember. Nothing makes it better. I cannot transcode the footage because Resolve is the only application that will - and Resolve wont, because of this error.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 11:28 pm

Its mostly likely dropped frames on the camera. The exclamation mark in the record icon would have flashed and stayed on until the next time record was pressed. Alternatively you can set the camera to stop recorded when a dropped frame occurs.

The standalone Blackmagic RAW player will ignore dropped frames and show the previous decoded frame - if you stepped through frame by frame you would prob notice frames "repeating" and in playback probably notice some stuttering. Resolve shows media offline because the frames can't be decoded, and in this case likely because they dont exist as they were "dropped".
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

TommyShelton

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 7:58 pm

Thank you! That makes sense. Any guesses as to why I am getting dropped frames in the camera? Any setting I can change to help the camera record more reliably? This has now happened 3 weeks in a row recording the full length sermons at my church. What are common causes of dropped frames?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 10:56 pm

Hi, which camera and what media are you using to record to? Generally its because the media can't keep up with the data rate.

Confirm the media you are using is on our recommended list from the support page on our website, confirm the data rate your media can handle (our free disk speed app can help as manufacturer ratings may not apply to sustained speeds etc), and depending on that you can try a higher compression option/lower frame rate/lower resolution to get the data rate down to something your media can handle without dropping frames.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

mp14mp14

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi same thing happens to me,
footage from Blackmagic URSA 12k, I restart and open again the projects delete cache files and it works just fine then after editing and working a couple of minutes errors appears media offline. but nothing is actually offline when checking the bins.
Very annoying ! I almost want to export everything to prores and start the project again in premiere and AE
Also, sometimes a warning comes out of nowhere about permissions on my disk
and sometimes another warning saying GPU memory full (I got 3 GPUs a total of 72Gb GPU ram)

Please help, it's imposible to work like this

Davinci studio 17.3 build 14
Windows 10 pro
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x 32 core 3.70ghz
256 GB ram
gpu 3x 3090 Nvidia

mp14mp14

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 9:19 pm

this is driving me crazy.
I lost two days of work, I can't believe how bad Davinci works right now. nothing seems to fixed the problem.
I'm really disappointed, believe me I love so many things about Davinci but there are just so many issues and problems and bad user interface designs and so many under layers of things imposible to understand how or why they work that way. I hate to hate it because I really love parts of DaVinci workflow so much

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 5:54 am

Mariano, you are likely to get Resolve assistance on the Resolve forum.

If your BRAW media is on a drive that is not fast enough to playback to Resolve those frames may show as dropped frames, or you could have recorded dropped frames.

If you are also having disk permissions it sounds more like disk I/O issues.

If f you copy the media to a permanently connected disk do you see them playback in the Media page viewer from media storage correctly?

Also note.. you cant add GPU ram to get a higher ram number.. each GPU uses its own ram, so if you have the GPU memory full warning, its because you have exhausted the GPU memory in that GPU, or the GPU driver needs updating, or both.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

mp14mp14

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks Peter, I got so many issues with Davinci right now not sure why but everything is falling apart.
Drives are internal and very fast SSD raids and m.2 everything internal.

is there any support email ? I will be happy even to pay a technical support if it's necessary there are just too many problems with Davinci right now

mp14mp14

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Right now for example I'm trying to export a png to send the grade look for review to a client.
I grab still from the color page I usually do right click and export to PNG from the gallery. crazy the export is just black but the thumbnail looks good in Gallery.

Audio is always played with artifacts, it sounds like if there is a problem in the bit rate conversion.

The whole software is not working as it should

antoine

PostWed Sep 01, 2021 9:02 am

mp14mp14 wrote:Hi same thing happens to me,
footage from Blackmagic URSA 12k, I restart and open again the projects delete cache files and it works just fine then after editing and working a couple of minutes errors appears media offline. but nothing is actually offline when checking the bins.
Very annoying ! I almost want to export everything to prores and start the project again in premiere and AE
Also, sometimes a warning comes out of nowhere about permissions on my disk
and sometimes another warning saying GPU memory full (I got 3 GPUs a total of 72Gb GPU ram)

Please help, it's imposible to work like this

Davinci studio 17.3 build 14
Windows 10 pro
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x 32 core 3.70ghz
256 GB ram
gpu 3x 3090 Nvidia

You can also import natively inside Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects the Blackmagic RAW .braw files !
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Return to Post Production