Low GPU usage - Choppy playback

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dillonjjanzen

Low GPU usage - Choppy playback

PostMon May 04, 2020 4:21 am

Hey everyone,

First time posting here, and very new to the whooooole game of videos, editing, and honestly computers in general..

About 4 months ago, I decided to buy some gear and learn how to create short films.

Spent days reading comparisons posts, reviews, blah blah...decided to start my path with Davinci Resolve 16 as my editing platform.

Anyway, I'm having issues running the program. Video playback is super choppy, almost freezes any time the video reaches a new clip or transition.

I've tried to research what my issue is but honestly I can only read so many forums/posts and watch so many youtube vids. I have no computer savvy friends, or anyone remotely close to having knowledge in this field, so here I am...asking for help!

I have a 2015 Dell 15-7559 with:
Intel i7-6700HQ @2.60Ghz
16GB RAM (8GB added)
Seagte STL1000LM014 1TB Hybrid SSHD SATA
Samsung EVO SSD 500GB
Intel HS Graphics 530
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
...more information can be found if needed.

I'm new to this, and learning as I go but what I can see at the moment is I either have:
-a bottleneck issue
-CPU isn't fast enough to run this program through the IGPU (from what I can find, the IGPU is what ultimately displays picture - the discrete gpu just works in the background? -correct?)
-temps too hot and clocking gpu back?

My system meets requirements for Davinci with 5/5 star compatibility. There has to be some thing I'm missing?

GPU runs at 20% MAX
CPU runs 60-90% primarily but does spike to 100%
IGPU runs 20-40%

After a week of frustration, I downloaded premiere pro trial. It runs what I'm trying to do on Davinci with ZERO issues...at first I thought my computer cant hold up to Davinci, but then I did some digging and found Premiere runs more off the CPU than the GPU, whereas Davinci runs more GPU than CPU soooooo I'm kinda back to square one.

I've tried removing drivers, turning off power saving modes, etc.

I also downloaded msi afterburner and kombustor to try and pinpoint a fault, but I am honestly too naive at the moment to play with any settings, and too nervous to run kombustor.

I apologize for the lack of computer terminology I'm likely missing. Have mercy, I'm trying! Sincerely appreciate any help offered. Thanks all!

Uli Plank

Re: Low GPU usage - Choppy playback

PostTue May 05, 2020 9:34 pm

Studio? You need it on the PC if you want to fully use the GPU's potential with highly compressed footage.
Resolve Studio 16.2 and Fusion Studio under MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM
Mac mini 16 GB RAM plus eGFX Breakway Radeon RX 580

dillonjjanzen

PostThu May 07, 2020 6:36 am

Uli Plank wrote:Studio? You need it on the PC if you want to fully use the GPU's potential with highly compressed footage.

Are you referring to the paid Studio version? If so, no I am using the trial version for now. I did wonder if that would make a difference, better and possibly worse, because of more data?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 07, 2020 8:25 am

Can you in the computer setup disable the Intel GPU and only use the 960?
Its not particularly powerful but i imagine a lot better than the old intel process.
Are you in 16.2.1?
What is the codec you are trying to play? And its resolution and frame rate?
What is your timeline frame rate set too?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ctorberg

PostSun May 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Dillon, any progress here? I'm in a similar situation to you, new to the video editing, just started with Davinci resolve (16.2.1.017) and experiencing choppy playback. Likewise, GPU doesn't exceed 20%, memory doesn't exceed 50%, but CPU is spiking and maxing out at 100%.

Hopefully someone is able to provide some clarity and help us here.

My computer specs:
ASUS GL502VZM
Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
16 GB RAM
128 GB SSD (25 GB available)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 3GB

Chris

Return to Post Production