Black Magic Desktop Video app and Progressive video

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jbaughccm

Black Magic Desktop Video app and Progressive video

PostTue May 12, 2020 2:59 pm

I have my Panasonic HCX920 camcorder connected to my 2019 16" MacBook Pro via the UltraStudio Mini Recorder. The camcorder video format is set to "1080p/60". In the BM Desktop Video app I have only one option to choose for the camcorder input: "1080i".

When I live stream or record this video input I have severe artifacts in the video. The edges any moving object in the video show feathering artifacts. I assume this has something to do with "interfaced" versus "progressive" format.

Any help in resolving this will be greatly appreciated.
John

Jack Fairley

Re: Black Magic Desktop Video app and Progressive video

PostTue May 12, 2020 6:25 pm

You need to change the HDMI resolution in the camcorder settings. Check page 112 of the manual.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

jbaughccm

PostTue May 12, 2020 9:40 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:You need to change the HDMI resolution in the camcorder settings. Check page 112 of the manual.

Thank you Jack.

There is indeed a setting in my camera for the HDMI resolution. There are 3 choices: Auto, 1080i, and 1080p.

The setting was on "Auto". I switched it to 1080p. After the changed setting, I am unable to obtain capture of the video at all through WireCast. I tried rebooting the camcorder and the computer with no success. When I switched the camcorder back to 1080i I instantly got the image on WireCast.

The Desktop Video app shows a grayed out icon where you normally choose the connected camera. There are no options available for the camera. When I switch the camcorder back to interlaced, a selectable icon shows up in Desktop Video.

Any ideas?

Jack Fairley

PostTue May 12, 2020 11:23 pm

I would check and see if you can get video in Media Express with the camcorder set to 1080p, to see whether it's a problem at the capture level, or with Wirecast.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

jbaughccm

PostTue May 12, 2020 11:35 pm

Let me start by saying how grateful I am for your willingness to help me with this issue.

It seems like our minds are running on parallel tracks! My camcorder is located at another site from my present location. But this morning when I was at the church where the camcorder is set up, I did exactly what you are suggesting. I tried to run Media Express, an app that I have no experience with. When I opened the app I didn't see anything indicating access to my camcorder. I went up to something in the menu area and selected a formatting option there. I can't at the moment remember exactly what that was. Perhaps it was a progressive option? But anyhow, when I did this I got a message that said something about the device you are using is not compatible or something of that sort. I am sorry I didn't pay more attention.

I plan on going back to the location and trying Media Express again. This time I will note the exact error message I get.

I'll get back as soon as I can with better details.

jbaughccm

PostWed May 13, 2020 12:30 am

Jack Fairley wrote:You need to change the HDMI resolution in the camcorder settings. Check page 112 of the manual.

Follow up on troubleshooting using Media Express.

I cannot open Media Express as long as UltraStudio Mini Recorder is connected to my computer. I get a message that says: "Blackmagic hardware could not be found in your system. Please check the installation".
When I click the "OK" button the app crashes with a crash report.

If I first disconnect the USMR and then start Media Express it will start up. I then can re-connect the USMR and it does not crash. But nothing is available. No video.
But under "Device" in the Media Express menu "UltraStudio Mini Recorder" shows up.

Back to the HDMI options on my camcorder. There are four options: 1. Auto 2. 1080i 3. 1080p 4. 480p

If I select auto, 1080i or 480p the video feed shows up in my WireCast app. But if I choose 1080p I just get a black screen.

Why does Media Express report that no Blackmagic hardware can be found?
Why does Media Express crash when opened while connected to USMR?
Why do I get video in WireCast when my camcorder HDMI is set to any setting other than 1080P?

Could this be a bad HDMI cable? Malfunction in my UltraStudio Mini? Bad cabling between the USMR and my computer? Since I am running this on a Mac with only USB-C ports, I am connecting the USMR to my computer with a lightning cable to a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 10:41 am

UltraStudio Mini Recorder does not support 1080 60p. You can only use up to 30p or 60i. Card should present you few modes and be visible in MediaExpress (unless you have other app open which can use it). Maybe change TB cable or port. It's also possible that it may not work with TB3 to TB2 adaptor. You need to write to BM support.

jbaughccm

PostWed May 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Thank you, Andrew.

This morning I got a reply from Black Magic tech support:

" In regards to the issue with your UltraStudio Mini Recorder,
where you mentioned that the video from your Panasonic HCX920 shows severe edge artifacts, can you change the resolution
of the video source, UltraStudio Mini Recorder can only support 1080p30, on Media Express that resolution can be set as well.
Check on that option." Emphasis mine.

This confirms your statement that the Mini Recorder does not support 1080p. However, I have used this device for more than 2 years on an older model MacBook Pro. I never had the interlacing problem then. So I'm sure that I was getting progressive feed from the camcorder. Perhaps it was auto defaulting to 1080p30. But when I go to the HDMI quality setting in my camcorder there is no option for 1080p30. Only 1080p60, 1080i, and 480p. It is possible that in the past I was outputting 480p from the camcorder without knowing it since the default setting on the camcorder is "Auto". From the wording of the reply from tech support I infer that the lack of 1080p60 support is a limitation in the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and not a limitation imposed by the camcorder or the computer.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Maybe you were shooting at 30p not 60p and then there was such an option.
There inso way this BM card ever supported 1080 60p.

jbaughccm

PostWed May 13, 2020 3:27 pm

My camcorder is set to RECORD to the SD card at 1080p60. This gives me the highest quality recording possible with this camcorder. I might be happy with 1080p30 but this is not a selectable option. In the HDMI quality output setting I have 4 choices: Auto, 1080p, 1080i and 480P. The frame rates are not specified in these settings. I assume they are all 60fps. That would explain why I can't export 1080p60 to my computer over the HDMI output when the HDMI output on the camcorder is set to "1080p". There is no option for setting 1080p30, which supposedly would be supported by the Mini Recorder. I know that my computer can accept 1080i and 480p from the Mini Recorder from trial and error. I would suspect that I would get higher quality input to my computer with 1080i than with 480p. Does that seem right?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Yes, all sounds right.
Why don't you simply copy files from SD instead of going over capture process?

jbaughccm

PostWed May 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Yes, all sounds right.
Why don't you simply copy files from SD instead of going over capture process?

I realize I didn't explain my situation adequately. I am using the camcorder to simultaneously record high quality video for later editing AND live stream that same video session over WireCast. The Video I record on the SD card is very high quality and very good source material for editing/encoding with Final Cut Pro and Compressor. I'm told that WC prefers progressive source material for live streaming. But it will accept interlaced video as well. It is not clear to me which course is best. To input interlaced video into WC and let it process it for progressive streaming. Or to input 480p video into WC. As I understand it, with my camcorder these are the only two choices of HDMI output that are compatible with the USMR. It would be ideal if I could output 1080p30 from my camcorder. But I don't think this is possible to configure.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 9:14 pm

You could insert some cheap HDMI framerate converter and convert your 60p to 30p.

jbaughccm

PostWed May 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You could insert some cheap HDMI framerate converter and convert your 60p to 30p.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even know such a converter existed. I may look into this. But the simplest (and least expensive) thing for me to do at this point is to go with what I have. I can input my video via the UltraStudio Mini Recorder as 1080i and get adequate quality for my live streaming needs.

I'm glad that I have researched this and satisfied myself that getting 1080p60 into my computer with the USMR is not possible.

Out of curiosity, are you aware of any other external HDMI interface devices that will allow live transfer of 1080P60 video to a MacBook Pro computer?

Thank you very much for the time and effort you have expended in helping me understand this issue.
John

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 9:48 pm

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /W-DLUS-10
which supports 60p.

You could also use NDI technology. It works this way.
You connect camera's HDMI to NDI box like this: http://www.bird-dog.tv/mini-overview
You connect this box to your network router (standard 1gig). From this moment anywhere in your network you can access your video as an NDI signal (you can think about as very high quality streaming signal). This then can be taken as input in WireCast or any tool which has NDI support. What is nice about it that this signal exists in your whole network and can be simultaneously taken to many apps on many machines. It's a modern approach to standard "capture" process. NDI uses intermediate codec similar to ProRes.
This is way more powerful and future proof than old fashion "capture" approach.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Thu May 14, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbaughccm

PostWed May 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Thank you for the NDI technology suggestion. You’ve given me plenty to investigate and think about.

Return to Post Production