Adjusting Braw Footage white balance in After effects

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

calemanning

Adjusting Braw Footage white balance in After effects

PostWed May 27, 2020 11:18 am

I've been looking at the menus for over an hour now and can't seem to figure out how to change the raw data within After Effects. Is it hidden under some tab I'm missing or is it just not possible?
Thanks in advance

carlomacchiavello

Re: Adjusting Braw Footage white balance in After effects

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 4:16 pm

you can read file like emanation of premiere plugin but yo not have real raw editing.
try the demo of this
https://www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio
you had more ;-D

antoine

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks Carlo for mentioning us. Indeed you need to use BRAW Studio Layer Settings to be able to tweak color grade in After Effects !
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

adame02

PostTue Sep 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Hi @calemanning, I was investigating the same issue today.

I wanted to report a workaround I found today to customize BRAW settings in After Effects by overriding the 'as shot' metadata that AE obeys. Being that the full RAW control with Blackmagic RAW does exist in Premiere, in Premiere clip Fx you can override from "Camera Metadata" to "Clip" and have the full menu of RAW controls. Once set, you can just hit "Update Sidecar" at the bottom. This should drop a ".sidecar" file next to the ".braw" with a matching file name. At this point, when you import that same .braw into After Effects it will read the metadata from the ".sidecar" file. I wasn't testing against white balance, just gamma settings. Perhaps give this a try? I think either Blackmagic or Adobe should expose the BRAW settings in "Interpret Footage">"More Options" as they do with RED. But for now, in a pinch, this is an alternative that worked for me.

Or consider the Autokroma 3rd party option, which of course addresses the same issue.

This test is based on Windows 10, After Effects and Premiere CC 2020, with Blackmagic RAW 2.0-b2 installed, using 12k .braw from URSA Mini Pro 12k. I was trying to Dynamic Link Premiere to AE thinking that'd pass through the RAW overrides, but it choked, but I think this relates to the 12k .braw which routinely caps out GPU RAM in AE, Premiere and Resolve.

And of course, @carlomacchiavello is correct, this is one of the gaps that Autokroma fills. However, for our environment, this is not a single user situation and we need to be able to read .braw on all workstations and render farm which would be expensive and hard to track single user licenses. If you're one a single machine, Autokroma seems like a great option.

antoine

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 2:21 pm

Would be great to hear more about your needs by private message Adam
Cheers
Antoine
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Return to Post Production