Stream video from decklink over IP

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Albert Hofmann

Stream video from decklink over IP

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 11:46 am

I am looking for ways to stream the video from a BM Decklink Studio 4k card to a remote machine over IP. The remote also has a Blackmagic card that would be used for the video output.

So I'm looking for software that can take input from a BM card and send the video over IP, and software that can receive this IP video and feed it to a BM card.

Any suggestions?

Walter Sonius

Re: Stream video from decklink over IP

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:31 pm

If its progressive video and a layer2 local network try OBS-Studio with obs-ndi both on input and output.

If its remote over layer3 internet you might need some ffmpeg fiddling between those 2 obs-studio instances.

Albert Hofmann

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 8:12 pm

I used OBS Studio to send a stream from a Decklink, and could receive it with VLC. But of course, VLC cannot play it out through Decklink.

Haven't tried the obs-ndi plugin yet. Will have a closer look tomorrow.

Can OBS Studio also receive a stream and give it to a Decklink for display? That would be perfect, but I had the impression that it could stream out, but not receive.

Thank you

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 am

There are advantages to using dedicated and secure methods for client projects. Streambox and Evercast are emerging as the go-to solutions for secure streaming for post producers:

https://www.streambox.com/
https://www.evercast.us/

There have been some good discussions over on MixingLight.com about different methods for secure client previews. The trick here is getting the client to use a calibrated display on their end, and that's a challenge. Some are using a "tweaked" 13" iPad Pro that provides something close to reality in playback.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Walter Sonius

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 7:03 am

Albert Hofmann wrote:I used OBS Studio to send a stream from a Decklink, and could receive it with VLC. But of course, VLC cannot play it out through Decklink.
Can OBS Studio also receive a stream and give it to a Decklink for display? That would be perfect, but I had the impression that it could stream out, but not receive...

If you have the url that worked in VLC for playback, you might try that in the VLC source in OBS Studio (make sure you have VLC 32/64bit version matched with OBS Studio).

The media source(beside vlc source) in OBS Studio is somewhat limited in terms of input options so it might not accept your streaming parameters if it is more than a complicated url.

A other option would be to get your url on the remote site to be played with ffplay/ffmpeg if that works on your screen, you can use ffmpeg to listen to your remote site and create a simple multicast transport stream with codec copy to your localhost and that localhost link can be openend in media source in OBS Studio. I can only post you the details of the ffmpeg output part and instructions to add the media source in OBS Studio, but the ffmpeg input/receiving part you have to figure out yourself (we use youtube-dl as a piped source to ffmpeg).

Albert Hofmann

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes, it finally all works fine with OBS Studio. The URL for the media source on the receiver needs to have a 0.0.0.0. For example, using port 6000, while VLC accepts "udp://@:6000", OBS must have "udp://@0.0.0.0:6000". And it outputs to the Decklink fine.

Thank you for the help.

atmosfar

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Did you try the NDI plugin, to see if it was any better? I'm curious if there would be a performance difference.

Albert Hofmann

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 6:18 pm

No, we haven't used NDI because the point was to stream over the Internet.

We finally used srt:// with OBS Studio:

On the sender in our LAN:
    - Source: "Blackmagic Device"

On the receiver in another network:
    - and Tools > "Decklink output"

On the firewall, we configured port forwarding to the internal IP/Port.

Return to Post Production