Media Express Closed Caption / VITC Play and Record

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

pcb105

Media Express Closed Caption / VITC Play and Record

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 5:13 am

Hello All,

I am trying to set up a workflow that uses the UltaStudio Mini Monitor for 1080P30 content and UltraStudio HD Mini for 1080P60 content and recording.

I have a Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt 1 output for the Mini Monitor and a Macbook pro with Thunderbolt 3 for the HD Mini. I have created test files using Final Cut Pro X with 608 captions.
Question 1: Does anyone know if I setup the MiniMonitor or HD Mini to output directly from FCP does it output the VANC (Closed Captions and VITC)? I am having a hard time determining this. I have tried to record the stream (albeit with a Atomos Shogun 7) and I don't believe it is recording the information. Due to CoVID I can't get to my Phabrix unit that would tell me.

Question 2: It would be easier for me to output thru Media Express. Does Mediaexpress output the closed caption data and VITC, if I input a file that has it embedded (608 / 708). FCP can create a MOV file with 608 and MXF with 608 / 708 but I haven't tried to see if media Express would accept MXF.

Question 3: Does the HD Mini (using Media Express) support capturing 608/708 and VITC. The datasheet for the HD Mini indicates it handles Closed Captioning + RP188, so I would assume it does, but I can't find out if Media Express supports it.

Question 4: Are there any programs (MAC OS) that allow me to use the Mini Monitor or HD MINI to output additional VANC data (such as AFD etc)? I know it can be possibly be done with the SDK, but I would like to avoid this if possible, as my SW engineering skills are low (unless I can do it in Python) and my SW engineers are booked for quite sometime.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Return to Post Production