Teranex Mini or SmartPanel unresponsive/freezing

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

StefanM

Teranex Mini or SmartPanel unresponsive/freezing

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Hello all,
at least two of my many Teranex Mini Converters with SmartPanels (one HDMI-->SDI and one SDI-->HDMI) became unresponsive (until power cycling) after long hours of operation - and obviously heating up a lot, despite of 0.5HU air between rack shelves and active rack fans.

Symptom was that the SmartPanels showed the boot screen ("Teranex Mini" in black letters on white background) and pressing any button did not have an effect. Video was still being converted though.

Both Teranex running current software and POE+ powered (not mains powered) if that matters...

Anyone else experienced this? (Over-)heat problem or faulty Teranex unit or faulty SmartPanel? (No, I did not yet x-change SmartPanels.)

Cheers,
Stefan

StefanM

Re: Teranex Mini or SmartPanel unresponsive/freezing

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Another unit showed the same behavior yesterday night.

Today I decided to even more massively cool the rack - by use of a 18" mole fan!
Result: None of the Teranex Minis froze after many hours of operation (but some colleagues hated me).

So, yes I am pretty sure this is heat related. May be after all the ventilation concept of three Teranex on the Teranex rack shelf is not too efficient - only LOUDER than your average vacuum cleaner.

Anyone else facing this problem?

ProductionOfficeWien

Re: Teranex Mini or SmartPanel unresponsive/freezing

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 2:17 pm

We know this issue already for 5 to 6 years, in different Rack configurations, but also with converters operated as single tabletop units, not in the rack with plenty of ventilation.
We found this on all kinds of Teranex Minis: SDI>HDMI, HDMI>SDI, SDI Distribution, AUDIO>SDI, SDI>AUDIO, ANALOG>SDI - The only common thing is the smart panel.
And we have two states of fail:
1 - the Display ist just freezing
2 - the display turns white with a Large Terranex Mini Logo in the center.

...and they loose network connection. No answer to the software, no ping response anymore.

BUT - Usually they don't stop the basic functionality - so they keep doing what they should do - its just not controllable anymore :)

Return to Post Production