Intensity Shuttle USB 3 Trouble

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dionysus512

Intensity Shuttle USB 3 Trouble

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi all, I bought this Intensity shuttle ages ago and had trouble with it from the get go due to an old projector I thought was the problem.

I am currently trying to record a VHS for a friend and for the life of me can't get anything but a black screen coming in in Media Express. In testing I hooked my GoPro Hero 7 into the HDMI input, switched everything to match (set to 1080 30fps) and still nothing but black coming in! I use the output all the time into my ATEM mini so I know it works fine.

So I'm trying to figure out further troubleshooting steps to take to try and get this working... or should I cut and run?

Just want to do my friend a solid while I am at home during COVID. BTW I am an entertainment tech that focuses on audio and lighting, and also does a fair enough amount of video (mainly projection, occasionally video walls).

Trying to see if I have anything else around the house I can input with! No luck so far.

Yes have BM Desktop Video Setup running, and configured. It's detecting the Intensity Shuttle fine.
Haven't seen anything but a black screen in the Log and Capture of Media Express. Typically use my ATEM Mini on my mac laptop but wanted to use the Intensity Shuttle on my Desktop PC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

GASPAR

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3 Trouble

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 am

Hi there,
I'm having similar trouble with the intensity shuttle. It works fine when connecting my laptop hdmi out as input to the shuttle, but I need to capture a signal from a recorder delivering 1080p 60Hz (as detected by my projector) and the shuttle does not seem to support this (only 1080p 30Hz).
I've tried a few other lower resolutions, but none of them seems to be supported. :cry:

But it may work for you if you're able to change the output of your GoPro (60 Hz not allowed, but 30Hz is)

Strange enough I found this post at the B&H product site of the intensity shuttle... but I guess he's wrong (believes he's outputting 60Hz but actually is not).
This unit works great with gopro7 hdmi out put at 1080 60fps. It requires software/drivers install, and min i5/8GIG RAM for it to work without glitches. just my opinion

I'm still looking for an "official" list of supported input formats. I'm wondering if I can get around this by using and HDMI to Component converter. But before buying I need the list of allowed inputs. If you find it. It would be great if you can share.

Dionysus512

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 9:38 pm

My post specifically states that I set my GoPro to 30fps.

I ended up hooking the Intensity shuttle into my laptop and had a good signal from the GoPro, but still can't get anything but black from the VCR (currently using a SHARP VC-H820). Not sure what the heck it's outputting at but it'd imagine its an NTSC standard.

GASPAR

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 pm

My post specifically states that I set my GoPro to 30fps

My fault... bad reading

As to knowing what signal the VCR is delivering, you may try connecting it to your projector or a monitor, many of them identify the incoming signal and display the info for a short while before switching.

I ended up hooking the Intensity shuttle into my laptop and had a good signal from the GoPro,
Do you mean that using the same set up the shuttle worked when connected to the notebook, but not to the desktop? Really weird.

And if you're in an NTSC region your VCR should definitely output NTSC, probably 30Hz. Have you tried/can you output components instead of composite (guessing you're using the latter).

The very last, not elegant but effective, is connecting the vcr to the projector and film the screen with the Go-Pro which seems to work now with the shuttle.

On my side I could finally get the signal, but had to go down to 720p.

Good luck

Jim_Martin29

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 5:15 am

Hi,
I've been using Intensity for a long time, I've been working in professional video for several decades and I'm a former technical editor for Videomaker Magazine.

If you are capturing video from any older, analog, tape-based technology, you will need to run the video through a time-base corrector (TBC). This has always been the case, even in the analog days. Before you could broadcast or mix tape-based video it had to be time-base corrected.

In those days a TBC would be a rack-mounted piece of equipment and would run from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands. Thankfully, with today's technology they are small and inexpensive.

I use an AV Tools AVT-8710 with my Intensity to capture from BETACAM, 3/4" U-matic, S-VHS, VHS. It works great. Without it I just get black. But, any TBC should work.

Also, you have to make sure that the input settings on whatever software you use exactly match the source.

Return to Post Production