UltraStudio Mini Monitor for streaming video on IMac?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Leonardo Levy

UltraStudio Mini Monitor for streaming video on IMac?

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 12:12 am

Can I setup the UltraStudio Mini Monitor to show a movie that I'm streaming from Netflix or HBO on my iMac?
2017 27" 5K Retina iMac, 4,2Ghz i7, 64G Memory, Radeon Pro 580 8GB,
secondary screen is 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display, 1T internal SSD

Andrew Martin

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor for streaming video on IMac?

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 9:54 am

All BMD devices support HDCP if the video supports HDCP also, you'll probably not see it pass over the device. But i dont know what info gets passed out in a netflix stream. my chromecast device doesnt show a feed when connect to an Atem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 9:34 pm

None of the certified HDMI recorders will support signal which is HDCP protected. It's clearly stated on BM product pages as well.
What would be the point of actual protection if you could so easily record 100% quality bypassing it? :D

Leonardo Levy

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 1:47 am

How about if I put it this way - can i get the UltraStudio Mini monitor to feed my imac screen to my SDI monitor?

Uli Plank

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 7:13 am

Yes, you can feed it from your iMac like a second screen. But it will block all protected content.

There is no legal device allowing this, since SDI has no DRM. Forget SDI for that, but if you just want to screen it, like sending it to a projector, use a direct HDMI connection instead.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 am

Leonardo Levy wrote:How about if I put it this way - can i get the UltraStudio Mini monitor to feed my imac screen to my SDI monitor?

Most likely you will get black screen. You CAN'T record protected content in easy way.
Why would you like to stream Netflix content? It already sounds like violation of the law. Any streaming for larger group from Netflix, BD player etc. is prohibited and you need to get license for it (from the content owner together with appropriate non-protected master).
This is why it works only on a preview device (monitor, projector etc.) which is HDCP complaint. It will never officially work on a recorder.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Guys, why do you automatically assume that he's trying to pirate movies? What would be the point anyway...for Netflix' crappy compression? There are plenty of torrents readily available with full UHD quality for those so inclined.

Back to the OP, I think I understand what he's saying. He's got a nice monitor hooked up and would like to watch the Netflix content on it without dealing with the Apple Color Management profile. Unfortunately there is no easy way. The only way to stream directly to a grading monitor would be to connect an iMac directly to it using a TB to HDMI adapter and basically use it as a second monitor (Apple Color Management and all).
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 7:19 pm

This is the beauty of protected content. It can be watched only over protected path (HDCP compliant all the way).
If you really want to do it you can, but it's outside official ways.
Grading monitors (as far as I'm aware) are still HDCP complaint, so using them as a 2nd monitor will work. You still go over OSX color management, but this is a different story.
Story is simple- you can't take protected signal and "change" it into full quality unprotected one.

Leonardo Levy

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 5:22 am

Thanks Kays, You're right i have no interest in recording anything. Really all I want to be able to do is watch a movie with my daughter in the backyard on my 17" video monitor (while we socially distance) because I have a long enough SDI cable to stretch it out there. I just can't figure out how to get to get my regular computer screen to show up through the SDI . The mini monitor will do it if I'm looking at video in Premiere or Resolve but I was wondering if there was a way to transfer the computer screen info itself.

It actually the image works great just connecting the HDMI out into the DVI input on my monitor but for some reason i can't seem to get audio. I guess I could buy a long HDMI cable and then run the audio to a separate monitor but i was hoping for a quick single cable.

Hmm... I could take the HDMI into a small odyssey 7Q or TV logic HDMI monitor that cross converts to SDI- if only I got audio.

Leonardo Levy

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 5:42 am

Hey it works. For some reason if I connect my Odyssey or TV Logic via HDMI they both show up as choices for Audio in the iMac .. The cross convert to SDI on the 17" Flanders scientific monitor works from the Odyssey but not the TV Logic. (different output signal) . Picture from an HBO trailer looks and sounds great on the Flanders.
I still can't control start and stop once it starts without running inside but heck its a start. What I really need to do is just get Wifi out to the backyard though.

Return to Post Production