Using Color Space Transform with Cinestyle footage

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

happytappin

Using Color Space Transform with Cinestyle footage

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 4:44 am

Before still_112.jpg
Before still_112.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Before still_112.jpg
Before still_112.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
I try the input (use timeline) and output (black magic 4k film or the arri alexa etc to make the footage look better than the mavic air 2 or canon m50 i shoot with. Am I doing this right? Is there a better way or setting Im missing?
Attachments
still-after_111.jpg
still-after_111.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

dnozadze

Re: Using Color Space Transform with Cinestyle footage

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi happytappin,

there isn't really a right or wrong way to grade in any color space. The recommended and most used one is Rec.709, simply because of it's combability with almost any consumer grade device. The point of converting is to make your life easier. I don't know anything about Canon's Cinestyle LOG, so I can't comment on that, but if your footage looks better with a certain colorspace transform, you should use it. If you want to change the color space of the entire timeline, simply go into:
Project Settings---> Color Management.
Here you can see all different options to better optimize your timeline. You can also do a colorspace transform in the Color Tab, where you can simply go to the FX editor, type in: color space transform and do the same procedure. Note that it only applies to the clip that you do it to, meaning the rest of the timeline will stay with the timeline colorspace.

Hope that answers your question,

Dawid
PC Specs:

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
64,0 GB RAM
RTX 4090

Return to Post Production