Microconverters HDMI to SDI - Signal cuts ?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

marcrigaud

Microconverters HDMI to SDI - Signal cuts ?

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 am

Hi guys !

I'm reaching to you regarding an issue with microconverters.

I use the software Millumin for a show and I have a set-up that goes like this :

Video in :
Iphone—> Apple converter to HDMI—> HDMI cable —>Converter to SDI (not blackmagic) —> SDI cable 100m long—> Blackmagic Ultrastudio Minirecorder SDI to Thunderbolt—>thunderbolt cable—> Apple converter Thunderbolt to USB C —MACbook pro

No problem on this.

Video out :
Macbook pro —> Apple converter to HDMI—> HDMI cable—> Blackmagic microconverter Hdmi to SDI—> SDI cable 100m long—>Blackmagic microconverter SDI to HDMI—>HDMI cable—>computer screen.

That's where my problem is

We ran the show for a whole year on this set-up and everything worked fine.
As we did't play since march, I re-tested the set-up and saw that I now have cuts in the transmission. The screen goes to black for a few secs then the signal comes again, comes an goes, comes and goes... When it cuts, the screen displays a hdmi logo as if there is no longer a hdmi signal comming.

What changed since the last time I used the set-up :
-I installed an update of mac os
-I installed an update of the Millumin software
-I didn't update the blackmagic microconverters (I just tried to do so but when I plug the microconverters to the macbook and launch the Blackmagic converters setup software, it does not say that I need to install a new firmware update: ??)

What I tested unsuccessfully :
-replacing the sdi cables
-replacing the hdmi cables
-replacing the microconverters for new ones

I have a feeling that the problem comes from the MacOS update but I'm not sure.
It's not the Millumin software either because I see on the Macbook that everything is fine : it's just the screen that doesnt' get the signal.

Did you guys have anything similar to that issue ? Do you know how I could fix that very quickly ?
I have 80 shows scheduled in the nexte six months so it would be cool to know what to do...

Many thanks for your answers to come..!

Marc

Return to Post Production