Footage is just a YELLLOW frame

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

traveo

Footage is just a YELLLOW frame

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 4:33 am

Help! I wondering if anyone else has come across this issue. Have filmed some footage on the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k. On getting it back to edit. some, not all of the footage is just a yellow continuous frame. This is not just after transfer, I have gone back and looked at the data on the CFAST card itself. It's yellow. I've attached a screenshot. The audio in the file is intact and upon bringing it in to Premiere it sounds fine. I have tried to view in PP and in Blackmagic Braw Player. Braw Player wont even open it. Files sizes are consistent with regular footage.

I can't find anything online and am at a loss? Anyone know anything about this?
Attachments
Crunchwork V1.00_02_34_00.Still001.jpg
Crunchwork V1.00_02_34_00.Still001.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

antoine

Re: Footage is just a YELLLOW frame

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi Travis,
Could you share the .BRAW ? What firmware do you have ? Maybe you need to match the version of the BRAW API with the firmware the .BRAW was shot on.

For example with recent firmware this BETA might be needed : https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BETA-For ... Science-V5

Regards
Antoine
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

traveo

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 pm

Thanks Antoine. You can DL a clip that is affected, here: https://bit.ly/3n2QcFf
(Just if you're interested)

Because your suggestion did the trick! The beta of Autokroma installed shows the footage! pheww!
Its weird though because the footage is from the same CFAST, on the same shoot, and only some are affected?

Thanks for the suggestions worked a treat!

antoine

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 10:19 pm

You're welcome, it's my job !

On my windows machine, using v1.8.1 it displays a black frame in the Player. Corrupted frame (black and red stripes) on Premiere Pro. Using v2.0 BETA the file can be opened. I can confirm the Firmware is Version 6.9.4 => that's should be the source of the issue. The firmware is too recent, it should probably be considered a BETA !

Using BRAW Studio same thing, doesn't decode with v1.8.1 of the BRAW API (yellow frame), but using our BETA using the version 2.0 BETA https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BETA-For ... Science-V5 the footage can be imported just fine

So everything is logical here, Firmware 6.9.4 should only be used with the BETA version of DaVinci Resolve, Blackmagic RAW Player, Blackmagic Premiere Pro plugin and BRAW Studio :) same issue than here https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120486&p=661786

Hopefully it will be available in the coming weeks
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Nick Heydon

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi Antoine,

I've just encountered the same issue on a project I started last year. All other footage works totally fine, but one clip is showing a blank yellow image.

Shot on P4k v6.9.6 using BRAW Studio Panel v2.4.0

Shots filmed on the same day, with the same camera/media etc. work perfect, but this one has issues.... any tips?

EDIT: Switching to - "Decode Using : Camera Metadata" solves the issue, but then I can't grade the clip.

antoine

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 pm

Hi Nick,

It looks like a different issue than the OP here. Note to readers passing by : official BRAW SDK 2.0 has been released with support for recent camera firmware, solving the initial behavior (which wasn't really a bug) of the yellow frame.

It could be a GPU error (try to update nVidia drivers). We should try with BRAW Studio version 2.3.0 see if the bug happens, it would explain if the errors comes from BRAW SDK 2.0 or not

Nick Heydon

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 5:14 am

antoine wrote:Hi Nick,

It looks like a different issue than the OP here. Note to readers passing by : official BRAW SDK 2.0 has been released with support for recent camera firmware, solving the initial behavior (which wasn't really a bug) of the yellow frame.

It could be a GPU error (try to update nVidia drivers). We should try with BRAW Studio version 2.3.0 see if the bug happens, it would explain if the errors comes from BRAW SDK 2.0 or not

Thanks Antoine. I was also getting render errors on certain clips, then trying to play those back was crashing Premiere. After many crashes and finding the offending files (7 in total out of a 1hr sequence), I removed them from my project, cleared caches and then reimported them. Now everything is working as expected again with 2.4.0.

On your note of downgrading to 2.3.0 - for future reference, is there a place to download previous versions? I couldn't find it on your website.

antoine

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 3:09 am

Glad it works now. We will lookup if there is a cache issue, something we can do to force the regeneration of the cached frames.

Yes we keep some old versions online for a few months usually just replace 2.x.y by 2.3.0 in the URL (click right on "Download for Windows" or "Download for macOS" to get the URL https://www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/Download )

Return to Post Production