BRAW 6k Playback Issues / Should I upgrade?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

theohne

BRAW 6k Playback Issues / Should I upgrade?

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 12:46 am

Hi there!

I've build recently my PC in order to be able to work with the BRAW 6K footage for my projects. However there is a choppy playback when initially playing the clips from the media pool. Once they are inside the timeline and already played once, there is no problem. It may sound like a little issue but I usually have 2tb of footage that I need to go trough before my timeline is assembled and I waste a huge amount of time having to deal with the choppiness. I was wondering what is the reason for that and also is there anything I can upgrade or optimize better?

Here is some info:

I edit from 2 SSDs, OS is on Nvme 2.0, Timeline is set to 1080p
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI GTX1660 Ventus XS 6G OC 6144 MB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: BRAW 6k Playback Issues / Should I upgrade?

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 7:46 am

The GPU is not particularly powerful especially for 6k work.
This site will help you compare performance vs price for newer GPUs.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 4038vs4081

Try to get something less than a year old.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

theohne

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The GPU is not particularly powerful especially for 6k work.
This site will help you compare performance vs price for newer GPUs.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 4038vs4081

Try to get something less than a year old.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I've checked the website but I just see numbers and procents. Not quite sure how much is worth the investment. I usually do less than 10min videos with color corrections, moderate adjustment and effects. I just want a smooth playback of the braw 6k on a 1080p timeline and media pool. Do you guys think a rtx2070 will do the job or I'm better off going all the way to 3080? I don't need 4/6K timeline so I would rather invest in a better monitor for the difference in price between those two graphic cards

jbeech

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Peter, thanks for advice regarding <1-year old on GPUs, and for sharing that website, which is new to me. My question; is there a document or link with general guidelines regarding CPU/GPUs for Resolve?

Basically, a overview type document, which discusses the way things are processed and explains when you're wise to throw CPU cycles at the problem, and when GPU is best? Plus the role of RAM in both. Perhaps with a birdwalk into which approach is best for playback versus rendering (presuming they're different requirements). For example;

1. When does it make sense to use a 1080, 2080, 3090, or Quadro GPU?
2. When does it make sense (if ever) to throw more RAM at things, e.g. 16, 32, 64GB?
3. When is the CPU the bottleneck, e.g. what's generally good enough to edit with HD footage, 4K, or 8K, or is all the work largely offloaded to the GPU so there's no special need to edit on more than an XXXX processor?
4. Also, does an external monitor affect playback, and thus is desireable.

Anyway, my present editing PC was built to handle SD within Vegas and while it's an i7 with 1080 card and 32GB of RAM, it's two years old, e.g. rather long in tooth. Thus, I figure to build out something new for the move to Resolve and some guidelines would be helpful.

Lastly, and if it matters to your response; I've purchased an ATEM Mini ISO, am about to purchase four BMPCC 4K. Deliverables are in HD for YouTube (but who knows what the 4K-future may be so at least 2-years of utility would be nice).

Finally, thanks for your time because I know without asking you're a busy guy.
--
John Beech

Return to Post Production