Mac mini M1 - Big Sur - Issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

John Thorborg

Mac mini M1 - Big Sur - Issues

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi all,

Today I received my new Mac mini M1 with Big Sur installed, great (...or not so great?)
After all the usual setups and system updates from Apple I've a freshly installed system ready to go!
First off, BM Video Desktop install because on all my other systems running Big Sur the UltraStudio units won't work anymore, aargh.

I own several UltraStudio thunderbolt units (Monitor, Express, HD Mini, 4K Mini, 4K) after Big Sur on MacBook Pro and iMac5k they all rendered useless from no interaction to playback for only a few seconds and image freezes and crashes the host application.
So tried a fresh system install of OSX Big Sur on a reformatted system disk on both on a MacBook Pro and a iMac5k, same result, nothing seems to work.
During installation I've tried it with and without SIP (csrutil) enabled or disabled.

So now back to the Mac mini M1, direct after the usual Apple updates I did the Video Desktop v12 beta1 install.
Result, non of the units are recognised by the Video Desktop software but all are visible on the thunderbolt bus within 'System Information'.

What am I overlooking here, I do not think that BM is sharing a beta release and nothing seems to work, so I must be doing something wrong here.

Cheers
Last edited by John Thorborg on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

Re: Mac mini M1 - Big Sur - Issues

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 3:47 am

You may want to ask this in the subforum for beta 17 too.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mark Foster

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 1:21 pm

you need the Desktop Video 12.0 Beta 1 for the M1 mac!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... d-playback
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

John Thorborg

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Thanks, my typo, obviously I've used v12 beta1, v17 doesn't exist, ....yet. :D

John Thorborg

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 11:56 pm

Done!

After a full reinstallation of Big Sur on my Mac mini M1 by entering DFU mode (complete wipe and possible firmware updates) it now works. ;)
No idea what went wrong the first time, I followed exactly the same procedures with one difference, it didn't need an extra MacOS update because it installed Big Sur straight from the internet with the 'Apple Configarator 2' application on my other machine.

Cheers.

Craig Seeman

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 11:00 pm

John Thorborg wrote:Done!

After a full reinstallation of Big Sur on my Mac mini M1 by entering DFU mode (complete wipe and possible firmware updates) it now works. ;)
No idea what went wrong the first time, I followed exactly the same procedures with one difference, it didn't need an extra MacOS update because it installed Big Sur straight from the internet with the 'Apple Configarator 2' application on my other machine.

Cheers.

Seems Like I have the same issue.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127682
If the only solution is a complete wipe I'm going to wait for Blackmagic to fix this.

John Thorborg

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 11:30 pm

Well, every system is different off course certainly after a while of using and installing all kinds of different pieces of third party software with drivers and sometimes the kernel gets unstable because of this.
For me it was no issue to reinstall MacOS (for M1) because I started with a virgin system straight out of the box and nothing else was installed on it before that date.
But what surprised me was it worked the second time, so not with the factory installed Big Sur which was updated after first run, but later when it did a clean installation from internet all ready up to date version of Big Sur on a wiped system.

Bit of advise, read and follow exactly the instructions during the BM installation, about rebooting and security adjustments and all that stuff.
It is slightly different as what we're used to, in previous versions of MacOS you click through and just reboot to complete the installation.

Craig Seeman

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:03 am

John Thorborg wrote:Bit of advise, read and follow exactly the instructions during the BM installation, about rebooting and security adjustments and all that stuff.
It is slightly different as what we're used to, in previous versions of MacOS you click through and just reboot to complete the installation.

I didn't notice anything in the ReadMe with specific install instructions for 12.0 Beta 1. Where are you seeing this. I installed. and rebooted. In System Preferences Security & Privacy I see the ability to enable Full Disk Access for the Uninstaller (nothing for the Installer).

John Thorborg

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:12 am

During the installation of the Video Desktop software you'll get some instructions from the installer.
Uninstall the Video Desktop software first then re-install and now read the instructions and follow them to the letter.

Craig Seeman

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 3:59 am

John Thorborg wrote:During the installation of the Video Desktop software you'll get some instructions from the installer.
Uninstall the Video Desktop software first then re-install and now read the instructions and follow them to the letter.

The installation seemed no different than any previous version. Truly didn't see any unique instructions and I'd consider myself a stickler. Nothing beyond install and reboot.

Install Desktop Video 12.0
Introduction - Continue
Read Me - Continue
License - Continue - Agree
Destination Select - (no option since it's only the boot drive) - Continue
Installation Type - Install (type password) Intstalls software
This Installation was successful - Restart

Same as every other driver install before it that I can remember.
I get no other instructions. Restarts and no messages after the restart.

John Thorborg

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 10:48 pm

This is exactly what I experienced when I did the installation on an out of the box Mac mini M1 2020.
When I did a disk wipe and a re-install of Big Sur, I got an extra boot cycle during the installation of the Video Desktop software, which had something to do with some OS security adjustments that needed to be set manually.
Hmmm...

Craig Seeman

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 pm

When you tested and it failed to detect the BMD devices were you on macOS 11.0 or 11.0.1?
My MBP was on 11.0 and I updated to 11.0.1 and then tested.
When you wiped and installed you went straight to 11.0.1.
I'm wondering if the OS update to 11.0.1 might do something to the settings that impacts access and may not be able to fix (perhaps with the right terminal command though).

For the longest time I'd recommend doing OS updates through the system updater and instead, installing Apple's Combo updater. OS software updates would often do a not very "clean" update. I can't seem to find an 11.0.1 Combo Update https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos (which might have a similar clean up to wipe and install) though. This might mean it's Apple's problem and not Blackmagic though. I wonder if the Console log of the BMD driver install would reveal the fail point.

In another forum, I just got a report of someone having the same problem so I pointed them to this forum thread.

Craig Seeman

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 10:46 pm

An educated guess is that one may need to go into Security & Privacy and follow instructions to Enable System Extensions. That requires a reboot holding the Power or Touch ID button and launch the Startup Security Utility and enable Kernal Extensions.

Craig Seeman

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 am

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.44.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.44.15 PM.png (775.19 KiB) Viewed 52390 times

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.45.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.45.46 PM.png (791.41 KiB) Viewed 52390 times

Craig Seeman

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 1:09 am

Once you do that you can get to here and add the extension.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.03.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.03.13 PM.png (847.99 KiB) Viewed 52387 times

philanderson

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 8:17 pm

I've had the same problem with the new M1 mac mini, not sorted yet

I've reinstalled the OS through DFU mode with another mac

I've changed the security settings in the recovery environment to enable kernal extensions and did this prior to reinstalling the blackmagic desktop video software

And still it won't detect the mini monitor

bernddo

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 10:06 am

I am having the same error.

My setup:
* M1 MacBoop Pro with Big Sur 11.01
* Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle connected via USB-C
* Intensity Shuttle is recognized at USB 3.1 BUS in the System Report

What I did until now:
* enabled system extension in the recovery system environment
* Installed Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_12.0b1.dmg
* Allowed "Blackmagic Design Inc" in Security & Privacy / General

My Problem:
Desktop Video Setup still reports "No Desktop Video Device Detected"

I would be very happy if anyone can help me with this problem.
Thank you very much.
Kind regards, Bernd

Ned Urstveno

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Same with an ultrastudio mini monitor. Did all suggested actions and still "no device detected".
I'm on Mac Mini m1.

shamer

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 1:16 am

So does anyone from BMD ever check in on these forums and chime in?

I've gone through several attempts to get Desktop Video to see my Ultrastudio device on my M1 Mac. I've followed all the required steps to enable extension installation and I've wiped & reinstalled the OS (11.0.1) twice now and have even installed the latest Big Sur beta (11.1) with absolutely no luck.

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 1:49 am

I'd ask this in the beta 17 subforum, they definitely check that one.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Ned Urstveno

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 9:09 am

shamer wrote:So does anyone from BMD ever check in on these forums and chime in?

I've gone through several attempts to get Desktop Video to see my Ultrastudio device on my M1 Mac. I've followed all the required steps to enable extension installation and I've wiped & reinstalled the OS (11.0.1) twice now and have even installed the latest Big Sur beta (11.1) with absolutely no luck.

I've contacted support. Seems like there is no solution yet.
It worked for someone after suggested workarounds and a few reboots. For others, it's still nothing.

jtango18

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 11:33 pm

bernddo wrote:I am having the same error.

My setup:
* M1 MacBoop Pro with Big Sur 11.01
* Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle connected via USB-C
* Intensity Shuttle is recognized at USB 3.1 BUS in the System Report

My Problem:
Desktop Video Setup still reports "No Desktop Video Device Detected"

You’re out of luck I’m afraid. Blackmagic have said they USB 3 Shuttles won’t be supported on Big Sur. It’s in the release notes for Desktop Video installer.

I can confirm my USB 3 Shuttle behaves the same as yours, whereas my Thunderbolt works perfectly on my Intel Mac. No joy with either device on an M1 Mac ☹️

SteiwerTV

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 12:07 pm

I did found the problem. The Pre Installed Big Sur System is running on a higher level of secure. The installation of extensions is not allowed. You will have to shut down the computer. Then make a restart by holding down the power knob for a longer time , you will get into a security startup, here you can lower down the level of security for the your system. After this procedure everything runs fine. :idea:

Ned Urstveno

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 7:09 pm

SteiwerTV wrote:I did found the problem. The Pre Installed Big Sur System is running on a higher level of secure. The installation of extensions is not allowed. You will have to shut down the computer. Then make a restart by holding down the power knob for a longer time , you will get into a security startup, here you can lower down the level of security for the your system. After this procedure everything runs fine. :idea:

It works for some, but not for others.

shamer

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 4:33 am

SteiwerTV wrote:I did found the problem. The Pre Installed Big Sur System is running on a higher level of secure. The installation of extensions is not allowed. You will have to shut down the computer. Then make a restart by holding down the power knob for a longer time , you will get into a security startup, here you can lower down the level of security for the your system. After this procedure everything runs fine. :idea:

What are the specs of your system and what BMD device are you running?
--
2020 M1 MacBook Pro | I7 Desktop PC
Production/Post Production Professional since 1994

carlvonstarkenberg

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 1:44 am

Hi!

Is there a solution for this problem yet? I can't use my Intensity shuttle USB 3.0 on my m1 mac mini with Big Sur 11.1.

PLEASE HELP!

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 2:13 am

It seems it's EOL. It's not on the product page any more, maybe they can't make it compatible. After all, it was probably developed before anybody had access to a M1 machine.
The Thunderbolt devices seem to become usable.

shamer

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 4:56 am

Thunderbolt devices are NOT useable. Not universally anyway...

I don't think I've come across a single M1 MBP that works with the TB devices. Mac Minis seem to be able to anecdotally so it makes me wonder if this related to the MBP external monitor limit somehow.
--

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:46 am

Hmm, the support page says: "What's new in Desktop Video 12.0 Beta 1
Adds support for M1 powered Macs for Thunderbolt UltraStudio models."

I can't verify, since my M1 test sample had to go back and my own order is still far away.

shamer

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Hmm, the support page says: "What's new in Desktop Video 12.0 Beta 1
Adds support for M1 powered Macs for Thunderbolt UltraStudio models."

Yeah, that's what's confusing for a lot of people. I committed to an M1 in December **partially** based on the wording of that 12.0b1 verbiage - figured if there was beta software that was working that a full release wasn't far behind. Little did I know that it wasn't actually 100% accurate - my guess it was tested on Mac Minis but not MBPs, as it looks like the few who have had success with SOME of the devices are on Minis... Obviously, there is some distinction between MBPs/MBAs and Minis as the Minis support more monitoring options but, as I said previously, not sure if that is somehow related to the problems we're facing.

A beta release from 2 months ago that STILL claims to support M1 Macs but the majority of M1 Mac owners unable to get their Thunderbolt Ultrastudio devices to work despite trying every option provided by forum contributors and BMD support? Feeling a tad frustrated here :/

I would GLADLY order a new TB3 Ultrastudio monitoring unit from BMD to replace the TB2 one I own if I thought it would work but so far Blackmagic has been quiet on the subject since November with no response and I've seen too many anecdotes of M1 owners having problems across the board. If BMD would release an official statement and some guidance, that'd be great... There aren't a lot of options in this field and it would save consumers confusion and frustration if things were clarified.
--

Craig Seeman

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 6:58 pm

To be clear
13" MacBook Pro M1 Big Sur 11.1
Ultra Studio 3G Recorder
Driver 12.0 Beta 1
Is working for me.

It is disconcerting that it's been nearly 2 months since the beta driver and there's been no update.
Perhaps they are waiting for Big Sur 11.2 to be released, which I understand may have an impact on Thunderbolt devices but that's all speculative. It would be good to have some messaging from Blackmagic on this.

shamer

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:To be clear
Ultra Studio 3G Recorder
Driver 12.0 Beta 1
Is working for me.

Glad to see that! Same MBP as me... would be great to hear if someone using the same setup has a working UltraStudio 3G Monitor, UltraStudio HD Mini or UltraStudio 4K Mini.
--

catbiscuits

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:11 pm

It's important to point out that this is not surprising, the description of beta 1 says

"Adds support for M1 powered Macs for Thunderbolt UltraStudio models."

That UltraStudio compatibility is not the same as Intensity Shuttle compatibility.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 pm

shamer wrote:
Craig Seeman wrote:To be clear
Ultra Studio 3G Recorder
Driver 12.0 Beta 1
Is working for me.

Glad to see that! Same MBP as me... would be great to hear if someone using the same setup has a working UltraStudio 3G Monitor, UltraStudio HD Mini or UltraStudio 4K Mini.

Don't expect those betas to be any near smooth functionality, specially on system which is so new.

PascalK

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Hi there,

I also have an Ultrastudio Mini monitor not recognized by Desktop Video Setup on a 13" M1 MBP, after several installations, including lowering of security, device that can be seen in the system report.

It is very disappointing to have no support from BMD for almost 2 months. It is generally a responsive company.

We need information ! What's happening ? Is there an official trick ? Do we have to wait for an update ? If yes how long approximately ? Is it a definitive loss for us ?

Thanks

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 1:37 am

New hardware, new OS, beta software – welcome to the bleeding edge!
Using this will give you some first hand experiences, but if you got work to do, use last generation systems.

shamer

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 3:11 am

PascalK wrote:Hi there,

I also have an Ultrastudio Mini monitor not recognized by Desktop Video Setup on a 13" M1 MBP, after several installations, including lowering of security, device that can be seen in the system report.

It is very disappointing to have no support from BMD for almost 2 months. It is generally a responsive company.

We need information ! What's happening ? Is there an official trick ? Do we have to wait for an update ? If yes how long approximately ? Is it a definitive loss for us ?

Thanks

The unofficial response on my support query seemed to be that TB2 devices were no longer supported on new Mac OS, at least on M1. I purchased an Ultrastudio 3G (TB3) to replace my mini monitor and I am back to monitoring externally via SDI but I've run into some new issues
--

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 10:08 am

Not so unofficial if you look at the list of supported devices. TB2 does not work with M1. Period.
Even my old trusted Passport Pro RAID doesn't connect.

Ned Urstveno

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 6:13 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Not so unofficial if you look at the list of supported devices. TB2 does not work with M1. Period.
Even my old trusted Passport Pro RAID doesn't connect.

My Elgato TB2 hub is working with M1.

Scott Heysen

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 8:20 am

Thunderbolt 2 Pegasus RAID and G-Speed Shuttle XL RAID working fine on my M1 MBP, and now that ATTO has updated their drivers, I can also run my 2 LTO tape drives. Thunderbolt 2 doing just fine on my M1 MBP.
iMacPro 10core, 32GB, 2TB, Vega64 - 12.6.5
16" MacBookPro, 10core M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB - 13.4
14" MacBookPro, M2, 10core, 16GB, 512GB - 13.4
Various Pegasus RAIDs

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 10:42 am

So, the problem seems to be limited to TB powered devices.
@Ned: Do devices that need power work with your Elgato hub?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 11:09 am

Most likely it will be power problem.
Anything which has own power may work. There is no guarantee it will, but it may work fine.

Ned Urstveno

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Uli Plank wrote:So, the problem seems to be limited to TB powered devices.
@Ned: Do devices that need power work with your Elgato hub?

Nope, only Elgato is powered up. Haven't tested anything but usb-3 drives though.

pwatsonuk53

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 7:21 pm

PascalK wrote:Hi there,

Thanks

New user here, with a brand new M1 Mac Mini and an Ultrastudio Mini Monitor 3G

I thought it worth adding my experience:

I downloaded and installed the v12 BM Desktop Video package (January release, non-beta) and encountered the message about not having installed an extension. This meant nothing to me and the driver package claimed to have installed correctly... Clearly not as the Ultrastudio device wasn't recognised by the BM Desktop Video app (as others have found)

A bit of reading later, forcing a restart to get at the Mac security settings and reducing them, re-installing the BM software and it's all now working OK.

There's got to be an easier way :D

Thanks for the hints in this thread!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm

If Elgato is powered then this is the source of power for other devices.
M1 itself most likely doesn't provide power, so this is why devices without external/own power don't work.

PascalK

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 10:44 pm

I bought Minimonitor 3G and it works, so it can't be a powering problem because TB2 Minimonitor have the same power supply ans does not work.

Maybe it's more like planned obsolescence from Blackmagic...

shamer

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 11:03 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If Elgato is powered then this is the source of power for other devices.
M1 itself most likely doesn't provide power, so this is why devices without external/own power don't work.

See, this is where I say it's more complicated than that...

My old TB2 interface (Mini Monitor) didn't work but it was definitely getting power. It's light was on and the system profiler identified it as being connected. It was Desktop Video Set Up that wasn't seeing it - everything else was.
--

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 12:06 am

Yes, it can be more complex and depend on actual device, but in this case it will be rather to each devices manufacture to add support, not Apple (things like disk drives may work as support is 'provided' by Apple). It's basically new architecture/OSX, so very big change. Even if device is TB2/3 it doesn't mean it's going to work straight away.

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 1:38 am

Apple always stated that their TB2->TB§ adapter doesn't supply power: "This adapter doesn't receive power over Thunderbolt". Even on Intel TB3 machines, only the AKiTiO works with devices that need power. So, I suppose it was never officially supported by Apple, even before M1.

sridharar

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 pm

All,

I have new mac mini M1 (16GB Memory, 512 GB Storage, Big Sur). Just a LG 4K monitor on hdmi out. One of the reasons for this is to use Davinci Resolve (free version for now).
I am currently running Davinci Resolve on my Lenovo high end laptop, but getting tired of slow edit and rendering times.

I have not installed Davinci resolve on M1 mini, as I am not sure which is the "working" and "stable" version of Davinci Resolve, that I should install. I just want to get going creating new projects, and importing projects from my Windows Laptop is not important right now.

I went through this full discussion trail and a few others as well.
With so many new vocabulary and probably sophisticated use cases, I am not able to discern whether these are relevant to my basic use case.
So I am not sure whether Davinci (16.*) is ready for use on Mac Mini M1 Big Sur.

I am still ramping on the basic Mac Mini M1 Big Sur environment.
So I want to keep that intact for a while.
So my hesitation and to move slowly, cautiously with Davinci Resolve, the correct way...

Appreciate any knowledgeable direction/tip.

br Sri.
Last edited by sridharar on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeXBbc4qNkdbNPywhopu1iA
Next

Return to Post Production