Desktop Video Devices not detected

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Derek Howard

Desktop Video Devices not detected

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:08 pm

I recently upgraded to Desktop Video 11.7 but once it was done, it no longer recognized my installed Decklink 8k Pro. Nothing changed except the version.

I tried downgrading to 11.5.1 but still nothing. I checked and the card is still installed properly.

All I'm trying to do is setup a capture from a VHS deck. I have the VHS Analog out going to an Analog to SDI convertor and then to the Decklink 8K Pro.

This is my first attempt at capturing through Resolve and I was having issues getting it to see the signal. I upgraded the Desktop Video software in hopes it could help.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Derek Howard on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyprobst

Re: App doesn't recognize Decklink 8K Pro anymore

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:33 pm

I had the same behavior yesterday with the same card. I placed it in another pc and there it works.

Did the update on the first pc too, have to check which version is installed on the second pc where it works.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

andyprobst

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Okay, on the second pc I have Desktop Video 11.6 installed. Not the latest ...

Derek Howard

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 12:24 am

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm going to try downgrading to 11.6 and see if that works.

Also, were you able to get it working on your first PC again?

andyprobst

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 12:40 am

I did not tried it today (running production - no time to loose) as I have also an older 4K decklink here. That one worked in the first pc!

So it seems to be a 8k problem ?!

Derek Howard

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 1:49 am

Well 11.6 doesn't work either. It was worth a shot.

Also, I tried physically removing the card and re-installing it and that didn't help either.

This is frustrating. It was working fine this morning. If I had thought that upgrading would have caused something this extreme, I never would have considered it.

William Japhet

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 1:01 am

It’s not only your 8k I think.

Same problem here with 2 x Decklink 2 Duo Quad.

I think it’s a general driver problem with windows 2H20 for Desktop Video Setup (I can’t open it anymore)

Updated windows today because it said « not support anymore... »

Ooops....
ATEM 4K 1M/E + ATEM 4K 2M/E + ATEM TVS
Broadcast Panel and GVG-Atem (by Baz)
Just Macros + XKEYS
Fibers + converters + MD-HX
X32 Rack
EIZO CG277
Sony PVM-A170/A250

Derek Howard

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 10:15 pm

I didn't have the 20H2 update for Windows 10 at the time the issue first started but I have that version now.

Well I gave it a few days, and I had both a Windows update and an Nvidia driver update in that time. I also did a clean install of the Desktop Video software. Still nothing.

I'm getting really frustrated with this. I had all this free time over the break that I could have spent on this project but all that is gone because the software won't recognize that I have my card installed!

I really wish someone from Blackmagic would chime in on this thread. I don't know what to try anymore.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Have you actually emailed support ?
You're not going to get reply on forum from BM support (typically). I would not count on much help, but worth a try.

Derek Howard

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Yeah, I've emailed support, but the only other time I emailed them (for a different issue) it took weeks between each reply. I was hoping the forum could help me solve it sooner.

Carsten.Fabian

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:15 am

I have the same problem with my Decklink Duo 2 and just called the Blackmagic support in GB. The supporter hasn't heard of this issue so far but also thinks that it's a problem with the 20H2 update for Windows 10.

I would really appreciate if some Blackmagic technician got involved here and said something about it!

I'll write an e-mail to support-emea@blackmagicdesign.com now too.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Famous Windows updates, which no one is ready for :)

Carsten.Fabian

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 7:44 am

Interesting answer from the tech support:

Hi Carsten,

thank you for your email, I hope that you're well.

With regards to the behaviour that you're experiencing, we have tested our lab DeckLink Duo 2 card with our PC that is also running Windows 10 20H2 and the card was recognised
and behaving as expected and passing signal.

As we have not seen an incompatibility with this windows version with the Desktop Video 11.7 driver, we recommend that you ensure you have this version of the driver and attempt a clean
install of Windows 10 20H2 to see if the same behaviour occurs.

Can you confirm that the card was behaving as expected prior to updating Windows?

You may also wish to try and recover the card by following the steps on age 74 of the Desktop Video manual linked below.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 5254405000

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards, stay healthy!

Derek Howard

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm

I'm glad you got an answer from tech support. I still haven't heard anything.

But the bit about recovering the card is interesting. I'll give that a shot and see if it helps. Let us know if that helps your problem as well.

Derek Howard

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Just finished the recovery method described on page 74 of the manual.

It was able to update the card but, once I reinstalled the card in the machine, the app unfortunately still doesn't see the card.

I finally got an email from tech support back (saying basically the same as what was posted above) and I've replied to them.

Was anyone else able to get their cards working with this fix yet?

redbellyblack

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 2:25 am

I am going to go back to the same thing happening with the DeckLink Duo 2 and upgrading to 11.7 (also upgrading OBS Studio)

Ever since upgrading to DeckLink Duo 2 I have had trouble with my DeckLink Duo 2 and Intensity Shuttle USB3 not being available. I did all the usual tricks of uninstalling and going back to 11.6 and so forth to some degree of success, then I upgraded OBS and it all started again, did the same thing and after reseating card unistalling re installing and in one of those attempts it worked again, upgraded obs again and again decklink disappeared .......

It seems to be an issue? However this time I spent alot more time going through measured steps to uninstall and reinstall and still nothing but I did notice in the device manager that the video "Blackmagic Decklink Duo 2 (1), (2), (3), & (4)" where not assighned , in other words had questionmarks on them and in a folder unsure of what they were. A simple update driver on each bought them back into the Desktop video setup and useable again.

Hope this helps! Another thing I noticed was from Blackmagic Desktop Video 11.6 and prior that when the Decklink Dou 2 card was left in Auto in stead if selecting say 108050i etc then the audio on that channel was completely useless and garrbled up. when I first upgraded to 11.7 and got it working I could not select the video format in OBS and have the video work it had to be in auto, but the audio was fine, this new update on OBS and the 11.7 update working again it seems I can now select the video format and it works as well as auto working (still to test if I have any audio issues though)
Kind Regards

David Baker
Mobile – 0488 519 564
www.redbellyblack.com.au
www.thewebcaster.com.au
www.thepodcaster.com.au

Unit 1, 1 Leonard Street Hornsby NSW 2077

Redbellyblack Pty Ltd ACN: 627 028 479 – Trading as Redbellyblack Production & Media

Wolfgang Woehl

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 11:37 am

Probably same or similar issue here, discovered only today. Last usage of the system was Dec.

DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G not discovered by Desktop Video Setup anymore, both with 11.5.1 and 11.7.

The device shows up in Windows' device manager as healthy and working.

We did upgrade our Cintel drivers in December as a last op before leaving for vacation. That's always good, right? :)

Can I suggest OP change the topic to smth like "Desktop Video Devices not detected"?
Resolve Studio, Cintel Scanner, Decklink 4K

Derek Howard

Re: Desktop Video Devices not detected

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Wolfgang Woehl wrote:Can I suggest OP change the topic to smth like "Desktop Video Devices not detected"?
Agreed, this seems like a more wide reaching issue. Title has been changed.
redbellyblack wrote:It seems to be an issue? However this time I spent alot more time going through measured steps to uninstall and reinstall and still nothing but I did notice in the device manager that the video "Blackmagic Decklink Duo 2 (1), (2), (3), & (4)" where not assighned , in other words had questionmarks on them and in a folder unsure of what they were. A simple update driver on each bought them back into the Desktop video setup and useable again

THANK YOU!! I did the "update driver" through Device Manager and Desktop Video finally sees the card again! I'll have to actually test it to make sure the card is working fine but I'm sure it will be. Still, hopefully the BM techs see this and fix the issue for future updates.

Wolfgang Woehl

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am

Solution here was to activate "DesktopVideoUpdater.exe" in Autostarts (see e.g. Windows Task Manager) - as suggested in Ole's post. That triggered a driver update. Now the device (4K Extreme 12G) is listed again in Desktop Video Setup.

Why the updater service was deactivated in the first place? Not sure, may have been triggered by Cintel upgrade to 4.0?
Resolve Studio, Cintel Scanner, Decklink 4K

roadrunner

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:11 am

Thanks, solution for me was the Device Manager Route as was separately discovered in another thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138728
System 1: Dell Precision 7810, Dual Xeon 2620, 72GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Win10 pro, Resolve Studio 17.4.
System 2: Custom build Intel i7-12700K, 64GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Ubuntu 22.04, Resolve Studio 17.4.

Return to Post Production