Dual Monitor Setup with different resolutions

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

pikkec

Dual Monitor Setup with different resolutions

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 10:29 am

Hi there.

I'm switching to a dual monitor setup and I was wondering what are your experiences with having monitors with different resolutions. I'm currently editing on a 1080 monitor, but am thinking of going for another 1440 for the dual monitor setup. I've read that older versions of Davinci had problems with different resolutions on a dual monitor setup, is thay still the case with Resolve 16? Also some people have advised against using 1440p, becuase it's not a video format resolution.

Any thoughts on how I could make this setup work? Or would it be better to just buy another 1080 monitor?

Marc Wielage

Re: Dual Monitor Setup with different resolutions

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 11:41 am

pikkec wrote:I'm switching to a dual monitor setup and I was wondering what are your experiences with having monitors with different resolutions. I'm currently editing on a 1080 monitor, but am thinking of going for another 1440 for the dual monitor setup.

My experience is that this does not work well. Basically, the problem is that the GUI needs to be able to draw the various panels and displays in a predictable way, and if one monitor has one resolution and the other has a different resolution, things are going to wind up in the wrong place.

What I did for quite a few years was just get a 15" display and used that just for scopes, and then used a 24" (later a 27" display for the GUI. Eventually, my business partner convinced me to go with two 27" GUI displays, but we made sure they were absolutely identical. You don't necessarily need anything brand-new or expensive; there's plenty of cheap used 24" DVI displays out there that would work for you. (Again, not for color, just for GUI.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ellory Yu

Re: Dual Monitor Setup with different resolutions

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 9:41 pm

Marc, I have 2 x 4K 27" for the GUI connected to the GUI Card and another reference monitor connected to DeckLink. With the GUI, sometimes even with the dual display, the scopes gets in the way when I have them all open and floating. Can I get a 3rd monitor (like a 24") and just have the scopes display on it all the time? Do you have this setup?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production