Why is my footage degraded?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Rwootenvideo

Why is my footage degraded?

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 2:16 pm

I edit with an MSI P75 Creator in resolve 16. I choose the 2160 timeline settings and the preferred YouTube 2160 export settings using NVIDIA. I shot this in Q0 at 60 FPS on a T5 and slowed down 50%, am I possibly slowing down too much? My main complaint is the waves at the end of the video rendered to be very blurry but raw they looked amazing.

Uli Plank

Re: Why is my footage degraded?

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 1:45 am

First of all, waves are very difficult to compress, you need high bitrates. And then, optical flow has a hard time with waves too.

Try two steps: first export in a higher-qaulity, like Cineform or DNxHR. If that looks better, it's the compression and you should compress externally with Handbrake or upload your rendered files directly to YT.
If that file rendered in a better format looks wrong too, experiment with the settings, maybe speed warp can help (slow). And next time do slo-mo in the camera, if possible. Speeding up is not a problem.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Rwootenvideo

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Uli Plank wrote:First of all, waves are very difficult to compress, you need high bitrates. And then, optical flow has a hard time with waves too.

Try two steps: first export in a higher-qaulity, like Cineform or DNxHR. If that looks better, it's the compression and you should compress externally with Handbrake or upload your rendered files directly to YT.
If that file rendered in a better format looks wrong too, experiment with the settings, maybe speed warp can help (slow). And next time do slo-mo in the camera, if possible. Speeding up is not a problem.

Thanks for your reply, would it be better to shoot 3:1 rather than Q0?

Daniel Gordon

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 1:23 am

I recommend outputting with an uncompressed format like dnxhqr 10 bit. Then compress it yourself with handbrake h.265 with a high bitrate. It takes many hours longer but you will get infinitely better results that way.
Here's a sample of what mine looks like when I use the above method.
Last edited by Daniel Gordon on Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 am

Or, if it's not too big, send the DNxHR file to YT, they recompress anyway.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Daniel Gordon

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 6:02 pm

Yes. that is true too. It would have to be a very short video for it to be sent without the handbrake step though. Youtube has a maximum file size of 128 gigs.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 6:03 am

Daniel Gordon wrote:Yes. that is true too. It would have to be a very short video for it to be sent without the handbrake step though. Youtube has a maximum file size of 128 gigs.

One suggestion: don't use YouTube. There are higher-quality platforms available that will give you a lot more bandwidth, like Vimeo Pro and Frame.io. But there's a price to pay for that kind of bandwidth.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production