UltraStudio Recorder not detected

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

DrewLutes

UltraStudio Recorder not detected

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:23 pm

The issue is when I launch Desktop Video Setup I get the message "No Desktop Video Device Detected." However, the device is connected to the Mac Mini using a verified working Thunderbolt 3 cable and the device's power light is on.

I'm running MacOS 11.1 Big Sur on an Intel Mac Mini 2018. I just received my UltraStudio Recorder 3G thunderbolt 3 device. I installed Desktop Video 11.7 before connecting the device.

Please help.

Craig Seeman

Re: UltraStudio Recorder not detected

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 am

Desktop Video 12.0 was just released. Give that a try. Be mindful of the System Preferences Security & Privacy access that must be given.

DrewLutes

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 4:01 am

Thank you. This is important information:

Craig Seeman wrote:Desktop Video 12.0 was just released. Give that a try. Be mindful of the System Preferences Security & Privacy access that must be given.

UPDATE: I figured out my problem.

For the Intel Mac-
Before Desktop Video can work properly it must be authorized by the user. Open System Preferences/Security & Privacy and on the General tab there should be a message about Desktop Video asking for permission to the system. Click the lock icon, enter your Admin password and authorize Desktop Video. That fixed the problem for me. Desktop Video recognized the UltraStudio Recorder and I had the option to use either SDI or HDMI input.

For the M1 MacBook Air-
A similar situation except there were message bubbles that warned that authorization was needed and gave instructions for shutting down and rebooting in a special way, holding the Touch ID power button until you enter a special boot mode to authorize Desktop Video. After authorizing and rebooting go back to System Preferences/Security & Privacy and make sure Desktop Video isn't asking for permission. Desktop Video should launch from the System Preferences then and you can configure the UltraStudio Recorder when it's connected.

All of this explicit authorization is something new for Mac users. Most every app that's installed and wants access to the system seems to need to be given explicit permission now in the Security & Privacy section of the System Preferences.

Craig Seeman

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 am

Apple is really clamping down on security. I had to go through this with my Recorder 3G with the 12.0 Beta on my M1 MBP. When I installed the 12.0 release version I didn't have to go through the special boot this time (only needed the first time) buy you still need to give in permission in Security & Privacy.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 6:37 am

As I understand the release notes, the UltraStudio Mini is never going to work on the M1.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Wes Greene

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 3:44 am

So I've run into this same problem and have tried all the recommended steps.

I have a new Mac mini M1 and assumed I'd be able to hook up my BM Ultra Studio 3D.

Plenty of UltraStudio products on the support list of BM's latest Desktop Video software release notes but not the 3D specifically?!?!
Does this mean I'm toast with the Ultrastudio 3D???

Think I'll need to buy a BM UltraStudio Monitor 3G??

Mark Foster

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 9:52 am

her you will find the supported devices under big sur:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... 04071f1643
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Jo Throckmorton

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 4:00 pm

I'm not seeing my issue discussed here - so please forgive me if I overlooked it. I just changed over to a new Mac Studio (2022) running macOS Monterey. I have Version 12.5.1. The chip is the Apple M1 Max. I have 64GB of memory. I WAS using an iMac Pro 2017 and used the Blackmagic UltraStudio Express to enable a 3rd "clean feed" monitor while editing in Davinci Resolve. When running Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup ... this Mac Studio will NOT recognize the device (Ultrastudio Express). NOTE: YES, I have uninstalled and reinstalled. YES, I have assured I am using the newest download from BM. YES, I have performed the correct Privacy and Security resolutions. YES, the Ultrastudio Express IS working (the light is on). YES, I have checked all the cables - they work.

Please - ANY suggestions beyond that? Or, is there another set up I should explore?

Thank you

Jo Throckmorton

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 6:16 pm

Actually, it turned out to be really simple. I needed NEW CABLES... all the Thunderbolt cables I had were no longer useable with the Mac Studio. Simple problem - same old crap from Apple... the second I plugged the Thunderbolt 3 cable - viola - it worked without a problem... why they do this crap is beyond me.

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 6:30 pm

Were those really TB cables? USB-C ones look the same, but only those with a lightning symbol are TB.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Post Production