DeckLink Quad HDMI; input from M1 Mac not working

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

PhotoJoseph

DeckLink Quad HDMI; input from M1 Mac not working

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 2:09 am

I just installed a DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder in a Mac Pro, running Big Sur 11.1, and Desktop Video 12.0 (just released yesterday… nice timing).

If I connect an M1 MacBook Air to the DeckLink, using either an Apple or a Belkin USB-C to HDMI adapter, as far as the Mac is concerned, everything is fine. It shows the second display in Display settings, it will allow me to change the resolution, mirror it, etc. It even knows that it's a Blackmagic device. However Desktop Video shows not signal received, and Media Express shows no signal.

If I connect an older MacBook Pro (2015 era) with a built-in HDMI port, it works perfectly.

If I connect an iPad using the same USB-C to HDMI adapters as I tried on the M1 MacBook Air, those both work (tip to anyone reading this who needs it; the iPad will determine that the card is an HDR device and default to an HDR output; go to Settings > Display & Brightness > (connected monitor name) > HDR/SDR options).

I can connect an iPhone using a Lightning to HDMI adapter, and that works too.

So it's unique to the M1 MacBook Air. Anyone know a solution?

Also PSA — USB-C to HDMI cables do NOT work for this solution, on any device I've tested. Which is really a shame, because that cable worked connecting to a BMD Mini Recorder, but won't on this DeckLink. I was hoping for a single cable solution.

-Joseph
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

PhotoJoseph

Re: DeckLink Quad HDMI; input from M1 Mac not working

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 am

ALSO… the M1 works fine using the USB-C to HDMI cable, or either USB-C to HDMI adapters on the old Mini Recorder. So I can’t do with the DeckLink what I can do with the Recorder! So that’s a bummer…

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

PhotoJoseph

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 7:17 pm

SOLVED!

Turns out that even though the Mac was connecting at the "Best for" resolution on the BMD display, it wasn't. It was trying to do 1920x1200. Click on "Scaled" didn't even reveal that, but if you option-click on "scaled" you get additional resolutions. Once I chose 1920x1080, it worked perfectly — even with the USB-C to HDMI cables. UHD resolution works, too.
Last edited by PhotoJoseph on Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 1:48 am

Thanks for posting the solution, much appreciated!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

enricbertomeu

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 11:50 am

Excuse me, can you tell me about your quad hdmi decklink experience with MAC PRO? lost frames? good, bad, etc. thank you very much I want to buy it and I want opinions

PhotoJoseph

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 2:32 pm

enricbertomeu wrote:Excuse me, can you tell me about your quad hdmi decklink experience with MAC PRO? lost frames? good, bad, etc. thank you very much I want to buy it and I want opinions

I'm loving it. I haven't had any dropped frame problems; I mostly use it in live productions, but have also captured using Media Express quite a bit without issues. I recently upgraded to macOS Monterey and it's all been fine.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

enricbertomeu

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 9:14 am

Thank you very much, I had seen a video on the internet that did not make her feel good but I did not see it clearly, I trust you more. I'm going to buy it

enricbertomeu

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 am

Hello, I have rebutted the new Decklink Quad HDMI, it is fantastic, I have tried 4 4k fonts and perfect. Of which you say more than munt, it works for me be all 4k without having to go to 1920x1080. I have a macbook m1 max and a screen mirroring. Thanks for all

enricbertomeu

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 10:35 am

What happens to me is that at the outset if I have to put 1920x1080 and once I see the duplicate screen, then it lets me put other resolutions. Curious

motor1

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 11:09 pm

Joseph,

I was relieved when I saw it was YOU asking this question, as I knew you'd post a good solution! I purchased a DeckLink Quad HDMI and run 2 Sony ZV-E10's through it into ECAMM for live training over Zoom and Teams on my Mac Studio.

PowerPoint takes up too many screens on my setup when I'm controlling everything else (ECAMM, Teams, etc.) so I decided I could use my MacBook Pro for the PPT as a 3rd HDMI into the QuadLink. Thanks to your post, I was able to overcome the same input issue you posted and answered. It worked so Thank you!

Nevertheless, the PPT image displayed has a yellow, dim look to it. I'm using it as a camera overlay in ECAMM. It's not as bright and maybe not as crisp as when displayed natively on the Mac Studio. Resolusion is pretty good but I can't understand why it's so yellowed. When I use screen mirroring, it's bright but I don't want to go wireless AND I need the presenter view, which I couldn't seem to get when mirroring; only when pushing the show through HDMI.

I recon it could be a lot of things, but I wondered if you had any issues with your laptop display sourced through the BM DeckLink when you use it on the destination computer.

Thanks again,

-A fan

PhotoJoseph

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 8:36 am

motor1 wrote:Nevertheless, the PPT image displayed has a yellow, dim look to it. I'm using it as a camera overlay in ECAMM. It's not as bright and maybe not as crisp as when displayed natively on the Mac Studio. Resolusion is pretty good but I can't understand why it's so yellowed. When I use screen mirroring, it's bright but I don't want to go wireless AND I need the presenter view, which I couldn't seem to get when mirroring; only when pushing the show through HDMI.

My guess is that it's a Color Profile setting. Check out this video about connecting the computer to the ATEM; sounds like the same issue:

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Return to Post Production