No signal on LEG OLED TV with Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monit

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

danialrzk

No signal on LEG OLED TV with Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monit

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi everyone!

I recently upgraded my setup and I'm trying to use my LG OLED TV as a client viewing screen, while I use a Flanders Scientific DM240 monitor to grade. I have the BM Decklink Mini Monitor installed.

The Flanders monitor is working fine, but my LG OLED TV shows "No Signal". Happens with both Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro.

Some things that I've tried:

1. Unplugging the SDI cable, but still nothing from the HDMI output. (I initially thought that the Decklink Mini Monitor was only capable of 1 output (either SDI or HDMI) but seems like it's not the case?)

2. Trying different HDMI cables.

3. Upgrading the BM driver (Currently on version 12.0 of Desktop Video Setup)

I came across a similar thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=106421&p=700116&hilit=decklink+mini+monitor+hdmi#p700116
but I'm not sure if they're caused by the same issue.

I'm going to try getting a HDMI splitter tomorrow in case it's a HDCP issue but as far as I understand from reading through the forum, it shouldn't be, since I'm trying to output a signal.

Does anyone have any clue why this might be happening?

PS. I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I've been reading through the forums and haven't been able to find anything that has worked for me.

John Paines

Re: No signal on LEG OLED TV with Blackmagic Decklink Mini M

PostSat Jan 30, 2021 12:31 am

There are several threads on this one. You need a powered HDMI splitter, though you may have to try more than one. I think it's an EDID issue, but people argue about that.... It shouldn't be happening on the BMD side, but it still is, unfortunately.

danialrzk

PostSat Jan 30, 2021 10:39 am

John Paines wrote:There are several threads on this one. You need a powered HDMI splitter, though you may have to try more than one. I think it's an EDID issue, but people argue about that.... It shouldn't be happening on the BMD side, but it still is, unfortunately.

I got a few splitters, and 1 of them worked for me! The non-powered ones didn't work, only the powered one did. Thanks for your help, John!

byrnesie

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 3:49 pm

I'm having similar issue. I get audio out of the Decklink Mini Monitor but no image.

I purchased the HD Fury HDMI Dr. and still nothing.

Tried various drivers from BMD website, tried re-seating the Decklink Mini Monitor into a different PCI slot.

This is an old computer, but it running resolve 16 fine.

Any other thoughts? Do the Decklink mini monitor cards burn out? Mine was purchased in 2015.

Thanks All.

sbyrne

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Try any different TV.
If it works with other display then it's not a card.

vdoedtr79

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 2:19 am

Stumbled upon this thread after having the same issues with my new LG C3 and the Decklink mini monitor. I get SDI output to my other monitor but black screen to the LG via HDMI. I was able to get a signal by routing the SDI output through a Blackmagic Video Assist 4k field monitor and outputting HDMI to the LG. Then I saw this thread and pulled out an HDMI splitter and bam! Worked great! Not sure why a direct HDMI connection doesn't work, but this solution is good for now!

Marc Wielage

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 6:58 am

vdoedtr79 wrote:Stumbled upon this thread after having the same issues with my new LG C3 and the Decklink mini monitor. I get SDI output to my other monitor but black screen to the LG via HDMI. I was able to get a signal by routing the SDI output through a Blackmagic Video Assist 4k field monitor and outputting HDMI to the LG. Then I saw this thread and pulled out an HDMI splitter and bam! Worked great! Not sure why a direct HDMI connection doesn't work, but this solution is good for now!

The problem is that sometimes, the EDID (Extended Display Identification) fails, and the monitor coughs and doesn't want to display a picture. HDMI is a flaky connector and a flaky process, because of the "handshake" process involved:

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/hdmi-edid/

We've found that the better-quality high-speed HDMI 2.1 cables seem to work a little better than the cheap cables, and it's true that some HDMI splitters work better than others. I've never had the display go black from the UltraStudio 4K Extreme, but I know the previous UltraStudio 4K occasionally got hung up and had to be reset. So far, the 4K Mini on the other system has been fine.

I kind of wish that the world would go to HD-SDI connections instead, because it's a lot more surefire and less flaky. Of course, pro monitors almost always use this kind of connector.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:36 am

It's BM flaw not HDMI spec. It affects specific cards only. Probably "problematic" HDMI chip used in some models.
AJA or Bluefish444 cards work fine and such an issue basically doesn't exist. Even other BM devices (as you found out) work fine (if other route is fine then it's not TV nor cable- quite simple conclusion).
In this case solution is to use powered HDMI splitter which re-shapes HDMI signal, so your TV likes it.
Look for other posts - there were some models suggested. Avoid 1$ HDMI cables, but don't spend 100$ either as it's about pointless if cable is eg. 2m long.
BM cards don't touch HDCP as they don't use encrypted signal.

Return to Post Production