Anyone successfully using Tangent-VS app?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Greg Lee

Anyone successfully using Tangent-VS app?

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 6:17 pm

I just discovered that Tangent has an iPad app that emulates the trackballs on a dedicated controller. Amazing, right? Instead of buying a Tangent Ripple for $350, I spend 5 bucks on an app, and control the (still awkward) Resolve color wheels from the iPad Pro I already have propped in front of my keyboard.

Except, I've spent two hours trying to get it to work on Resolve 17 beta, and I'm having zero luck. The online manual is terrible (if you can find it), and there are shockingly few posts on the entire interwebs about it.

Is it dead? Is it just beta incompatibility? It's still being sold on the App Store. Anyone having any success with it on any version of Resolve?

David E King

Re: Anyone successfully using Tangent-VS app?

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 4:26 am

Mine works good here in Resolve 16.2.7 and 17.B7 .... all the panels are accessible and work correctly..... but I'm on Windows and using an Android tablet.
You've got to install the Tangent Hub and set that up with the tablet first.... this works through your network... in other words not over the internet,.... you need a network gateway address on your router like 192.168.0.1 or what ever you setup for your network and then the tablet needs and address like 192.168.0.100 or what ever you setup....then the Tangent Hub and your tablet can talk to each other..... automatic assigned addresses (DHCP) work as well.... you just have to have everything on the same network.
After all that is set and working you then set the color grading control panel assignment in Resolve preferences to the Tangent Devices Element.... Resolve needs access to your network as well for this to work,
After setting the control panel to the Tangent you will need to restart resolve.....then all should be good.
The Tangent Hub and other stuff is on there web site..... I'm sure you can get Tech help there as well.

Good Luck
David E King
Production Design Force
Est. 1987

Greg Lee

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Thanks, great info. I actually had successfully connected the iPad and Mac via the Tangent app, but still can’t actually control Resolve with it yet, despite having set the preference. Could be a Mac/iOS issue...

How is your experience with the app, is it worth the effort to get it working?

David E King

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 5:54 am

Well it's not to bad but of course its not the same as a full control surface.
If you have or get more tablets then you can have a full glass control surface..... all of the panels.
Like I said the controls do work and there's not much lag using them.... the transport controls are nice including the jog and shuttle and once you learn the app you'll know exactly how to run the real Tangent surface if you ever get one or have to use one.
For 5 bucks I think its worth getting going.
Probably have to contact Tangent or Blackmagic for help if you can't get it to work.... it sounds like your half way there though. :)

Ellory Yu

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 7:07 am

I still use it with an Android tablet and it works with 16.2.8, which is the version I'm currently on. However I miss the physical feel of the balls, wheels, and knobs. Here's an old demo I made of it 3 years ago. I'm still using the same Android tablet today - which is nice because it is raised and tilted for me to reach. But if BMD will make a speed color panel to complement the speed editor and at its price, I will replace the tangent app and tablet immediately... but until then it's not a bad solution if you're okay with just sliding your fingers on a glass.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Greg Lee

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 8:18 pm

Awesome tutorial. Looks like the app is just what I’m looking for, if I can get it going...

Greg Lee

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 4:33 pm

Quick follow-up... got it working, and it’s fantastic.

Seriously, it’s crazy they’re offering this for 7 bucks, or whatever it is. Anyone with Resolve, a tablet, and enough money for a Subway sandwich should get it immediately. There’s a free version that’s limited to an hour a day, but it’s great for checking out.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

David E King

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 6:36 am

Good news Greg !!!
Yeah they used to charge $100 or so for it, so even if it is $10 it's a price ya can't beat.
And of course you get to learn the control surface as well.... win win. :)

Ellory Yu

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 7:34 am

Does it work for Resolve 17 at all? Have they been keeping the hub up to date?
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

JustAPostGuy

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 12:40 am

I had this working on android way back when it first came out, and it was so good I went out and bought a real panel a couple of years later!

Something I found quite good was the ability to use it on multiple tablets, which is very helpful if you have a couple of tablets lying around. I should dig it back out again...
To achieve great things: two things are necessary. A plan, and not quite enough time...

Ellory Yu

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 6:11 am

I have a table top tablet right now using it. I am thinking of just using an 8" tablet so I can hold the tablet and use my thumbs and finger to control the wheels and ball without having a 15" tablet between my keyboard and monitor.
So my question is has anyone tried this on an 8" tablet (Android or iOS doesn't matter). Did you find it workable and productive on a handheld tablet?

JustAPostGuy

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 8:58 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I have a table top tablet right now using it. I am thinking of just using an 8" tablet so I can hold the tablet and use my thumbs and finger to control the wheels and ball without having a 15" tablet between my keyboard and monitor.
So my question is has anyone tried this on an 8" tablet (Android or iOS doesn't matter). Did you find it workable and productive on a handheld tablet?

I havenot tried an 8 inch, but it was fine on a 10 inch. If you have big hands it might be a bit tight though
To achieve great things: two things are necessary. A plan, and not quite enough time...

Ellory Yu

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 6:01 am

JustAPostGuy wrote:I havenot tried an 8 inch, but it was fine on a 10 inch. If you have big hands it might be a bit tight though

Thanks Dan. Are you comfortable holding up the 10 inch and working the screen to grade or do you just leave in flat on the table?

Chris Rose

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 10:26 am

@ Greg Lee

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues. I've checked our Support system and can't see any history of your contacting us - if you're still having trouble please go to our website Support page and click on "Raise A Support Ticket" and one of our support team will be happy to help.

There's two document you need to read to successfully install and run the app. These are: the Element-Vs user manual. The Element and Resolve Configuration And Mapping guide.

The Element-Vs user manual can be found here:
Tangent website - > Products -> Element-Vs -> Panel Support tab.

The Element and Resolve Configuration And Mapping guide can be found here:
Tangent website - > Products -> Element-Vs -> Application Support tab -> select Blackmagic DaVinciResolve as your application.
You'll see the configuration and mapping guide in the Documents section.

Kind regards,

Chris Rose
www.tangentwave.co.uk
Technical Director at Tangent

Ellory Yu

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 4:42 pm

@ Chris Rose.

Does the Tangent-VS now fully support Resolve 17?

esprithk

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 10:56 pm

Hello, may I ask if the iOS Tangent Element-VS can connect to Tangent Mapper on Windows 11?
I installed the trial version to try it, but I cannot get it to connect to tangent mapper?
Both Win 11 desktop and iPad are on the same network. Thank you.

esprithk

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 2:46 pm

Hi, everyone.

I have successfully linked my iPad to my Win 11 PC and use tangent element-vs app as touch screen controller to control Davinci Resolve now.

It turns out that I need to set my Firewall to allow tangent hub to access the network. Instantly, my iPad mini is shown on Tangent Mapper panel immediately.

**further update:
I have done further testing on connection of iPad/tablet with PC.
It only requires to disable firewall and anti-virus program when making connection the very first time.
Note that if it is a WIN 10/11 PC, it will automatically enable Windows Security after Anti-virus program is disable/off. You must turn off Windows Security as well before starting Tangent Mapper the very first time to link Tangent element-vs app on tablet/iPad.

After you have successfully established the link of device to PC, you can restart everythin again.
After restart,
(1) your PC should restart its anti-virus program and enable firewall as usual.
*note that you have not made any changes in the firewall setting.
(2) turn on Tangent Mapper and start Tangent element-vs on your tablet/iPad.
(3) start Davinci Resolve (or Davinci Resolve Studio), start your project and go to Edit panel and Color Control panel.
(4) make sure your Davinci Resolve >> Preferences >> Control Panel (System)>> SELECT "Tangent Device Element". You can now control everything with the virtual controllers on your iPad/tablet's Tangent element-vs!!

Final answer to the question that some asks,
Yes, This works on Davince Resolve 17 & 18 as well!!!

Ellory Yu

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 6:25 am

esprithk wrote:Hello, may I ask if the iOS Tangent Element-VS can connect to Tangent Mapper on Windows 11?
I installed the trial version to try it, but I cannot get it to connect to tangent mapper?
Both Win 11 desktop and iPad are on the same network. Thank you.

It works with Windows 10 Pro. IDK about Win 11.

Steve Fishwick

PostSat Aug 27, 2022 3:10 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:It works with Windows 10 Pro. IDK about Win 11.

I can confirm the app still works in Win 11 (I haven't found anything that doesn't yet) and with Resolve 18.1, although the last version 1.70 hasn't been updated in some time.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Aug 27, 2022 7:54 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:It works with Windows 10 Pro. IDK about Win 11.

I can confirm the app still works in Win 11 (I haven't found anything that doesn't yet) and with Resolve 18.1, although the last version 1.70 hasn't been updated in some time.

Good to know that it works with 18. I plan on upgrading soon after my current project is done and I was concerned it will no longer work with 18. I was thinking of replacing it with the micro control panel then. I wished BMD will have something the same.

Return to Post Production