SD card issue with 12G Video Assist

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Big_Hen

SD card issue with 12G Video Assist

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 3:40 pm

I've used a 128gb Angelbird SD to record BM raw from my Panasonic eva1 into a BlackMagic 12G Video assist monitor. The monitor plays back the files fine and I formatted it to exFAT before recording.

My PC won't recognise the SD properly, saying it does not contain a recognised file system and then prompts me to format it to be able to use it. I've tried on a Mac as well which doesn't even recognise its there at all.

I've tried using Disk Drill but im unwilling (for now) to pay £78 to recover the files.

Please can you offer any advice on how to get my PC to read the SD card

thanks,
Henry

Ed_Mantle

Re: SD card issue with 12G Video Assist

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Just had the same issue with the same Angelbird card.

Formatted the card in the Video Assist to exFat. Recorded in ProRes LT. Plays back fine on the VA. Says it needs formatting when I insert into the PC. Files still apparent on the card and play back fine on VA but not showing up on PC. On Mac the card shows up saying the correct amount of data is remaining on it but no files appear.

Any tips? Thankfully it was just a test of some audio / video routing but it would be handy to see if it worked rather than have to re-do the whole thing.
Last edited by Ed_Mantle on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 1:32 am

Try HFS+ and get a software like Paragon for reading it in the PC (there's a demo for testing).
If that doesn't work either, the card or the VA is defective.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ed_Mantle

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am

I'm wondering if, seeing as it plays back fine on the Video Assist if there's any way to play out deck to deck? I just tried connecting the SDI out to a hyperdeck studio mini but can't seem to get a signal.

Also tried HDMI out to a bidirectional micro converter and from there SDI out to the hyperdeck but again no signal. Tried a couple of cables and presume the video assist won't work like that. I also tried the SD in the hyperdeck but again, no signal which seemed odd and made me think the hyperdeck had an issue, too.

Return to Post Production