Ultrastudio 4k Mini 4k monitor resolution issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

famaltese

Ultrastudio 4k Mini 4k monitor resolution issues

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 6:10 pm

I've got an Asus PA32UCX-P monitor for grading and just got the Ultrastudio 4k Mini and am having trouble setting the resolution.

Seems as though no matter the setting I put the US4kM, the ASUS only detects 1920x1080 via HDMI, and as there is no compatible port from the US4kM box other than HDMI to the ASUS, I'm stuck with HDMI.

I tried my other 4k monitor, a BenQ, and the issue is the same.

In addition to the resolution issue, I've noticed that on the ASUS the original image is slightly cropped on the edges. I changed the monitor settings (going to 1:1) and the smaller image is always cropped as with the other setting.
Btw, even on the small US4kM monitor, the image seems cropped.

I have attached some pics to show the problem.

I have DR17.1 running on M1 Mac, my project is in 2K scope. I've exported it and opened in Premiere and it looks fine.

I understand that US4kM is only capable of delivering HD over HDMI (?? which comes as a surprise and a bit of a deception).

I tried to play with both the US4kM and Resolve settings but nothing changes, the US4kM is stuck with HD.

Could someone please help?

If nothing can be done on the HDMI output level, my other question is: does there exist an adaptor capable of taking the 4k SDI output of the US4kM to a HDMI 4k?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_8061.JPG
IMG_8061.JPG (97.28 KiB) Viewed 354 times
IMG_8058.jpg
IMG_8058.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 354 times
IMG_8056.jpg
IMG_8056.jpg (138.35 KiB) Viewed 354 times

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Ultrastudio 4k Mini 4k monitor resolution issues

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 11:12 pm

It's enough to spent 1 minute at product page to find out that this card has no 2K output over HDMI.
BM doesn't seem to support 2K over HDMI. Even top boxes don't have it.

You would need SDI to HDMI converter which supports 2K.
In this case I can suggest one of the AJA converters, which are good, eg.
https://www.aja.com/products/hi5-plus#techspecs

but first make sure your monitor supports 2K as not many do!

Again.
1min read of monitor manual suggest that officially 2K is not on the supported modes list. It may work, but most likely won't.

What you can do is set monitoring to UHD and insert 2K into UHD at 1:1 pixels or scaled (by playing with Image Scaling/Output Scaling settings).
Other way is using the same settings and scale 2K into HD frame.

famaltese

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 7:20 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.
I got the fact that the US4kM doesn't support 4k over HDMI.

However, this doesn't explain why the image on the reference monitor connected through the US4kM is cropped compared to the image in the Resolve project.

Regarding the SDI to HDMI converter, does the BM Mini Converter Quad SDI to HDMI 4K fix this problem?
The only problem I see here is the coloraturas space, only RGB and YUV

Otherwise, How can I connect a 4k reference monitor to Resolve?
Thanks

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:19 pm

I though you want to send 2K.

What do you mean by 4K?
3840x2160 (which you should call UHD) or 4096x216 (called often DCI 4K resolution)?
UHD should work absolutely fine with US4kM and your monitor up to 60p.

When it comes to 4K DCI (4096x2160) spec says it's supported over BM box HDMI, but problem is most likely with your monitor which doesn't support 4K DCI resolution (at least not on the list of supported modes).

If you set monitoring to UHD for 4K project then by default (if I'm correct) Resolve will centre crop 4K into UHD output signal, so you get sides cropped on your UHD monitor.

If you set monitoring to 4K DCI then HDMI should pass 4K into display. Monitor will either says unsupported mode or also do internal crop (eg. Eizo monitors do it if I'm correct). Some monitors display 1:1 pixels , but you have to move picture to see sides. I'm not sure if I've seen case where monitor internally scales 4K into UHD. What your ASUS will do I have no idea.

So what is exactly what you are trying to do?
Just a note- what you see in Resolve GUI is 1 thing and what is send over BM card is a 2nd thing. They can be quite different signals depending on the Resolve settings.

famaltese

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 5:55 pm

Andrew,

my monitor is UHD, my timeline is 2k.
What I would like to do is to see my timeline at its full size on the monitor with no cropping and no scaling.

I played with the output scaling and managed to see a smaller image on the reference monitor with no cropping, which is already an achievement. But if I set the monitor to 1:1 the image is even smaller, which means that the real US4kM output is 1080 as displayed.
Also, if I change the output scaling, I assume this will change the aspect of the export. If I see my main screen, when I change the output, the timecode is now half on the image and half on the black side of the image.

I changed the project settings to UHD 2160 24, tried to do the same on the US4kM but on the box nothing changes, it's stuck at 1080 24. The same if I change to 4k 24 DCI.

So it seems that the problem is in the box' settings that I cannot change.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 9:38 pm

If you managed to have full 2K image scaled to HD this is some success. Aspect should be correct (you definitely can make it happen with setting in scaling section).

Project timeline setting is not controlling monitoring, nor BM control panel when you work with Resolve.
Just change in project setting, Video Monitoring section mode to UHD 24p and that should be it. Also by default (I think) you should then see 2K image at 1:1 pixel inside UHD frame, so quite small.

Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 22.42.41.png
Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 22.42.41.png (97.4 KiB) Viewed 262 times

You need to read Resolve manual if you not familiar with it.

famaltese

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 6:41 am

Thanks Andrew!
The issue is solved

Return to Post Production