Decklink 4K Mini Monitor from Premiere?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

woodchippings

Decklink 4K Mini Monitor from Premiere?

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi,

We work on a Mac Pro in both resolve and Premiere using a Decklink 4K mini monitor to drive a Panasonic OLED.

There is a significant difference between what Premiere (14.8) is piping out to the TV compared to Resolve 16 (or Blackmagic Media Express, or playing back using the internal player in the TV - those three are pretty consistent).

I can't figure it out though. There appear to be no options for controlling the gamma from Premiere to the Decklink?

This is using a 4K Rec 709 sequence. The TV is set to expect Rec 709 coming in, the sequence is set to be Rec 709. Display colour management in premiere is switched off (though when I enable it, the program monitor in premiere matches more closely to the TV. Otherwise the program monitor is closer to what Resolve is seeing). It seems like its shifting the image to a different gamma - its getting more contrasty. Has anyone else come across something like this?

Thanks!

woodchippings

Re: Decklink 4K Mini Monitor from Premiere?

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 11:28 am

I think I've figured it out.... or at least part of the problem.

We were monitoring over the HDMI out and that was showing loads of inconsistencies, despite trying to pin it down. HDMI is so convenient, but in so many ways it just isn't fit for the job!

Over the SDI in HD the signals were identical. So next is going to be trying to use an 4K 6G SDI to HDMI converter to get the signal back into the nice big TV.

(incidentally I did also check that it wasn't an export issues, but bringing the ProRes back into Premiere it would be identical)

Return to Post Production