Color management for BMPCC4K footage in Adobe After Effects

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dbengali

Color management for BMPCC4K footage in Adobe After Effects

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi I am wondering what is the correct workflow for using BMPCC4K ProRes footage shot with Film dynamic range when bringing into Adobe After Effects for compositing / keying / animation work?

In my particular case, my destination color space is sRGB.

By default, Adobe interprets the footage as Rec 709 Gamma 2.4

If I turn on color management in the project and set the working space to sRGB, the BMPCC footage, I think, looks less flat than I would expect. If I reinterpret the footage to sRGB, I think it looks perhaps more correct, but I am really not sure.

I am then performing various operations with the footage, and ultimately using Lumetri to adjust color before return of the clip to my editing timeline. I am currently using 'Blackmagic Pocket 4K Film to Extended Video V4' LUT, though I am also adjusting other color settings in Lumetri, and I find that applying the LUT in the Creative section, with intensity less than 100%, seems to look more pleasing and similar to the BM Extended Video look, if I stick with the default Rec 709 footage interpretation on import.

Is there a correct color interpretation for ProRes footage in Film dynamic range, from the BMPCC 4K, when bringing into Adobe After Effects?

I am working with collaborators who use an Adobe workflow, so working in Resolve and Fusion on this project are not an option.

thanks for any advice

radicalpoet

Re: Color management for BMPCC4K footage in Adobe After Effe

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 7:00 pm

I'd be inerested to know thoughts on this as After Effects has more sophisticated colour management than Premiere for using Lumetri.

Sorry I don't have much expertise to provide myself but rec.709 is very similar to sRGB. Some professionals might take a dim view of such a comment but very often for many they are close enough as colour spaces to one another they are interchangable enough. I think sRGB may have gamma 2.2 rather than 2.4 as one notable difference.

I'd be interested to know any thoughts about workflow from the BMPCC 4k, picture settings and into Adobe for correction and grading with LUTS
iMac 2019
3.0ghz 6 Core i5
Radeon Pro 575X
64gb RAM
1TB SSD

carlomacchiavello

Re: Color management for BMPCC4K footage in Adobe After Effe

PostMon May 03, 2021 1:35 am

You can setup project and color management on srgb, 16bit depth, and when you look picture from film setup you can add official LUT from Blackmagic Design.
If you install Resolve you can had a folder full of lut, where you can found a correct LUT from log Blackmagic Design to rec709 or others.
Anyway that allow you to normalise in correct way the Blackmagic Design log film mode to video, then you can cc with lumetri.
Better if you shoot in braw, there is free plug-in from Blackmagic Design to read correctly in premiere and after effects, and a better plug-in from autokroma, that allow you to edit raw data and interpretation of data.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Post Production