eGPU disconnect/reconnect and PANIC

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

torkveen

eGPU disconnect/reconnect and PANIC

PostMon May 03, 2021 11:06 am

Hi folks!

INTRO
I'm a fairly new user of both the eGPU (the 'Pro' version; based upon Vega 56 card) and DaVinci, using an MBP 13" (2020 version w/4x Thunderbolt 3) running macOS 10.15.7 (with all relevant patches applied) ...along with (a) Cisco AMP/Umbrella v1.14 (Endpoint Security) and (b) Little Snitch v4.6 (two-way firewall) as the only two low-level (kernel) extensions.

Upon installing the eGPU Pro I first applied the Blackmagic Design firmware v1.2 patch. After that, macOS needed to apply an additional system update. Since this point onwards the device has been working pretty flawlessly (Geekbench 5.4 states that the GPU performance was increased from 8K-something to 58K-something for OpenCL and 68K-something for Metal) ...*EXCEPT* from under the following condition:

PROBLEM
Sometimes I need to bring/move my Mac to a different place. Normally I FIRST use the 'soft eject', by invoking the pull-down menu ("Disconnect AMD Radeon RX Vega 56") and THEN pull the plug (i.e. of the Thunderbolt 3 cable). However, sometimes the pull-down menu item will not display (yes, I've tried multiple approaches, including closing other menu items to ensure that there is ample [menu] screen space available), but if I'm in a hurry I might have no option but to just unplug the hardware without invoking the soft eject first. In such cases I've received the "GPU Not Disconnected Properly" notification, and a couple of times even a system PANIC (crash) only seconds after.

FIRST FOLLOW-UP
I would have thought that the pull-down menu item was a macOS issue, so I contacted Apple Support about this (case ID 101378027098). But they only gave me the "upgrade to Big Sur, contact Blackmagic Design and if that doesn't help call us back" response.

QUESTION
Is this something that 'you guys' (both Blackmagic Design representatives and/or other forum members) have any advice on, please? Do I have to reboot my system *every time* I use the eGPU?

FYI: I use it even more hours as a general purpose dock (for power supplies, etc.) than I use it as an eGPU accelerator as such.
Last edited by torkveen on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottH409

Re: eGPU disconnect/reconnect and PANIC

PostThu May 27, 2021 12:20 am

I have a similar problem with my Blackmagic Pro. When I attempt to disconnect it before unplugging my 2020 MacBook Pro 13", I will get the light-grey message 'Disconnecting Vega Pro 56', but it never changes. One of my two external monitors will stop displaying things, but I can still see the mouse pointer move across the screen. The 2nd monitor never shuts off, even though both are routed through the eGPU.

I have yet to actually get the monitors to disconnect, and I always get the message 'Please disconnect eGPU before removing' message I see every time (or words to that effect).

Any ideas folks? Blackmagic staff?

Uli Plank

PostFri May 28, 2021 1:52 am

Don't use Catalina with an eGPU. I had similar problems with my Mac mini.
Get Big Sur and connect the monitor to the eGPU by Display Port and not HDMI and it should work.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Darren B. Kelly

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 9:46 pm

I’m operating an eGPU in Catalina. It’s fine. The only thing that prevents it from playing nice is when I start moving things.

BTW, I’m using an Intensity 4K card to feed 4K to an external monitor.

Don’t upgrade to BigSur. More bugs.

Return to Post Production