Utterly Baffled By Fast Playback of 24FPS from BMPCC 6K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

tiddlyfilms

Utterly Baffled By Fast Playback of 24FPS from BMPCC 6K

PostSun May 09, 2021 12:02 am

I've just finished a shoot for a world famous brand using 2 x BMPCC 6Ks and a BMPCC 4K. I'm fairly horrified to discover that all the footage shot at 24fps in 6K and 2.8K on the Pocket 6Ks is playing back slightly too fast, almost like a timelapse. It does this everywhere - in camera, using the Blackmagic RAW Player and in Da Vinci Resolve. The footage from the Pocket 4K plays back perfectly. The 120fps seems fine, but as the difference with the other footage is slight, who knows if it is exactly right. Bizarrely I've just done a test (the day after the shoot) and it seems to be recording and playing back 24fps just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Am I missing something really simple here? I've done a great many shoots using these cameras, but this was the first shoot since updating to 7.3 and my first experience of this. And it's very odd that it has happened with 2 x Pocket 6Ks - would both camera ops make the same mistake causing this?

Of course it would happen on the biggest shoot of my life so far... please help... the pressure is on! And if I've done something stupid, or if there is some kind of glitch somewhere, any ideas as to how it could be fixed please? I can slow the footage of course... but have nothing to guide me on how much.

Thank you all in advance!

Uli Plank

Re: Utterly Baffled By Fast Playback of 24FPS from BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 11, 2021 4:04 am

What does the inspector say about the speed? Can you post a sample?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

tiddlyfilms

Re: Utterly Baffled By Fast Playback of 24FPS from BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 14, 2021 12:12 pm

Regrettably I cannot post a sample due to confidentiality. BM are currently checking some of the raw files and acknowledging that it is too fast but seem unclear themselves as to how it could have happened - the metadata is not showing any error on our part. Offspeed, HFR, all checked, everything says 24 fps - Its seriously baffling!

Uli Plank wrote:What does the inspector say about the speed? Can you post a sample?

Return to Post Production