Exporting .BRAW from Premiere or AfterEffects?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

wdedalus

Exporting .BRAW from Premiere or AfterEffects?

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pm

Anybody know of a way to export a .braw clip from Premiere or AfterEffects? I tried BM tech support and they tell me they don't make workflow recommendations (silly, given that they build/design for production & post, and workflow is a huge part of the game...)

We recently shot a short film on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6k. It looks good.

We did the edit in Premiere, stabilizing some shots in AfterEffects warp stabilizer, then had VFX keyframe some effects to those shots *before* we had gotten the color corrected files from our Colourist. Now we're trying to deliver to the colourist, and are realizing he can't color the .braw shots themselves (like he normally would) and send them back to us, because that tracking will be lost... I need to now export .braw versions of the stabilized shots from Premiere.

Anybody know of a way to do with this? Premiere doesn't seem to have a .braw export - at least that I can find...

Thanks!

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Exporting .BRAW from Premiere or AfterEffects?

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 2:23 pm

You can’t export braw, anywhere, it is a camera aquisition format with no publicly available software writers. Write out some log flavor (could be bmd log or alexa logc etc) to prores/dnx or linearized exr sequences.
I do stuff.

antoine

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 4:45 pm

are realizing he can't color the .braw shots themselves

Why ? What software are they using and where are they stuck exactly ?
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

wdedalus

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 4:49 pm

The colorist is working in Resolve. The edit was done in Premiere 2020, with image stabilized in AfterEffects.
The VFX artist who added the lens flares to the stabilized shots was working in AfterEffects.

My fear is, for all of the stabilized shots, that if the colorist corrects the original .braw shots, the stabilization won't be *exact* and the lens flares will no longer be synced to movement.

rNeil H

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm

You have to do another generation there, not at all untypical in video post. Pick a solid intermediate codec.

Something shot on a RED sent out for vfx doesn't get RED media back. Just as an example.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wdedalus

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 6:20 pm

Gotcha. I'm always paranoid of losing quality any time I do a compression. I think we'll send out at ProRes 4444 and maintain the color space. Thanks for all your feedback!

Return to Post Production