Help - LUT baked in

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

morgzilla

Help - LUT baked in

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 1:16 pm

Hey there,

We shot an interview earlier today on someone else's BMPCC4K. I recorded in Ultra HD BRAW 5-1 and as I was recording it was looking like a nicely exposed image in flat BRAW. The camera had a LUT which when turned on was pretty horrible, but like I said I was watching the clean image and it looked good.

We shot four takes of a 15 minute speech and afterwards I transferred the files off the T5 SSD and they looked really saturated - like a LUT had been applied... weird. Didn't think much of it as I thought maybe there's a LUT attached somehow and should be easy to get it off.

I got the files back to my computer and yes, the LUT "appears" to be baked in! Really pushed my nice image and is now overexposed and generally yuk. I don;t mind LUTs, but want some hand in choosing one!

I've done a quick grade in Premiere (sorry I'm not experienced in Resolve) and can get it to something close to okay, but would love to know what the hell is going on a how I can remove this LUT?!

I've opened up the files in Resolve, and when you right click on the files in media pool it has selected "No LUT" and the metadata viewer says "Blackmagic RAW". So not sure what's going on?

A note: I've got my own BMPCC4K and have always recorded in BRAW and have never come across this issue before (fairly experienced on BM cameras). I'm going to call the guy in the morning to see what his camera settings are, but in my mind this cannot happen in a BRAW file and I should be able to "unapply" the LUT somehow...?

Any help much appreciated.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Help - LUT baked in

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Braw does not bake in luts, so sounds like you are viewing it with embedded lut activated. What does the camera raw panel in color page show you for one of the clips, can you show a screenshot?
I do stuff.

morgzilla

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Got it! Thanks Hendrik.

As you said, in the Colour RAW tab of Resolve I was able to switch it back to the base BRAW setting. Both project and clip metadata had the embedded LUT activated as you said. What a nightmare! Thanks for your help.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 7:40 am

Nice to hear you got it working!
I do stuff.

kurtnelle

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Just so that I can get this clear:

- The camera can embed the LUT into the file
- The braw player can play back that file with the embedded lut for previewing purposes
- The lut is not baked into the file
- In Resolve, it is simple to uncheck a single box to "disable" the embedded lut

It the above information correct?

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 5:27 am

Yes.
I do stuff.

Return to Post Production