Screen Tearing (Need Monitor Suggestions)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James McDonagh

Screen Tearing (Need Monitor Suggestions)

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 4:43 pm

So I have a new laptop and the screen is prone to tearing. I watch certain videos and when there's movement combined with the pixel being drastically different to the pixel next to it, tearing occurs. The best way that I can see this is in when I look at the following video which offers a test:

^^^in the video the bars lagg and stutter at their ends as they move across the screen. If you know you know...

Also, I have a clip from my current film which, when I view it on my iPhone on YouTube, has only minor tearing issues, but when watched on my laptop (144hz screen) is horrible to watch - especially between the character and the background as he moves. I've installed new drivers etc., and did loads of settings changes that people recommended online but nothing has helped. I'm virtually certain this is my monitor's problem as when I viewed the clip on my iPhone and someone else's 2021 Macbook there's no noticeable tearing, but I'd like to hear other people's opinion on the clip to see if I did something wrong and now the clip itself is compromised in one way or another.

Other than that, I'm looking for a new external monitor that will be good for grading and especially has NO TEARING issues as it's really really annoying me. What do I have to look out for to make sure that I get one that rectifies the tearing issue?

James McDonagh

Re: Screen Tearing (Need Monitor Suggestions)

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:09 pm

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-pa248qv/version.asp

I think I'm going to get this one BTW. I just have one question: what will be playback look like when I'm watching my 16:9 footage on a 16:10 display like this one? Oh, and should I be ok for assuring that I won't get any screen tearing?

Return to Post Production