Ultra Studio Monitor & Flip-Q teleprompter software

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

Ultra Studio Monitor & Flip-Q teleprompter software

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Desktop Video: 12.1

I'm trying to use an Ultra Studio monitor 3G on an iMac to send an SDI output to a teleprompter using Flip-Q teleprompter software. I have tried different monitors in addition to the teleprompter, and so far, the only indication that anything is working is that the source monitor acknowledges any changes I make in the desktop video software. For example, if I change the default video standard, the monitors will indicate that change, but all I am getting is a black screen, so I have not been able to actually get the teleprompter scripts to show up on the output.

Has anyone else used a studio monitor with teleprompter software? The teleprompter manufacturer assured me that this would work before we purchased the hardware.

Thank you

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

Re: Ultra Studio Monitor & Flip-Q teleprompter software

PostFri Jul 09, 2021 4:37 pm

So no one has used Macs thunderbolt to SDI with teleprompters? Thinking of truing a PC instead.

Thanks

Howard Roll

PostSat Jul 10, 2021 12:02 pm

I don’t think the software is designed to address the hardware you’ve selected. Use instead a straight hdmi to SDI like the micro converter.

Good Luck

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 12:11 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Use instead a straight hdmi to SDI like the micro converter.

Hi Howard: there are 3 teleprompters, and the studio control room is some distance away from the studio, which is why we need an SDI signal output from an iMac running the teleprompter via the Ultrastudio 3g so that the teleprompter software can be routed to the teleprompters via SDI. HDMI or VGA would not work for this reason.

I was also told my the teleprompter company that this setup should work, but they have not given me instructions or a solution on how to do it.

Thanks

Howard Roll

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Use an hdmi to sdi converter instead of a video IO card. There is only a handful of software that addresses the Ultrastudio cards.

Beyond that it’s not worth the price/driver/firmware/OS headache just for a second display. Literally half of the posts on the getting started page are IO card issues.

Like this, you dig?

Good Luck

821022CE-D756-4225-BFEB-7C11795FAA6C.jpeg
821022CE-D756-4225-BFEB-7C11795FAA6C.jpeg (87.39 KiB) Viewed 1524 times

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Use an hdmi to sdi converter instead of a video IO card....Like this, you dig?

That makes sense, so I dig brother. I dig. Most new Macs do not have an HDMI out and need a thunderbolt/hdmi adapter, so I hope this is not an issue.

I should also clarify that I am not using a video card, but the Ultrastudio monitor 3G.

I'll post back once I get the HDMI > SDI converter.

Thanks again.

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Use an hdmi to sdi converter instead [/attachment]

You were right, this was the solution Howard.

This is the solution to getting Flip-Q to work: as Howard pointed out, you have to use an HDMI to SDI converter because then the computer sees the HDMI connection as a second screen in system preferences, which can then be sent out. I got and HDMI> SDI converter https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/miniconverters/techspecs/W-CONM-27 to test and this works.

The Thunderbolt to SDI converter does not work because the thunderbolt connection is not seen as an external/second screen.

Thank you

Return to Post Production