How to work with raw and dng.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

OlegMush

How to work with raw and dng.

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Hello
please tell me !
how to import raw and in what codec to render it, preferably in adobe premiere pro or AE, and if you don't mind, can you tell me how to do it in davinchi?
I have a bmcc 2.5k ef camera
thanks for answers

rNeil H

Re: How to work with raw and dng.

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 6:33 pm

In both Premiere Pro and Resolve you can work directly in sequences with the BRAW.

Then export to whatever format/codec you need for the use when you're done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OlegMush

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 7:39 pm

rNeil H wrote:In both Premiere Pro and Resolve you can work directly in sequences with the BRAW.

what is the best codec to choose so as not to lose quality?

rNeil H

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 8:18 pm

Are you archiving the media in the edited form?

And if so, what will your needs be for future use?

Those two questions need answers.

For basic deliverables it could range from 1080p H.264 8 hit to 12 bit RGB. Depending on what the client/service needs or requires.

It always ... depends on the specific need.

Jinson

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 10:44 am

I can't important blackmagic raw braw file to adobe premier pro . I installed black magic raw 1.8.2 and black magic raw 1.6 but still I can't import . Do you know what can I do please ?

Ellory Yu

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 am

rNeil H wrote:In both Premiere Pro and Resolve you can work directly in sequences with the BRAW.

The OP said he has a BMCC 2.5K EF camera. The BMCC does not record in BRAW, only CDNG RAW. I don’t think PPro can work directly with CDNG. Might want to check that first.

Jinson wrote:I can't important blackmagic raw braw file to adobe premier pro . I installed black magic raw 1.8.2 and black magic raw 1.6 but still I can't import . Do you know what can I do please ?

As I said above, that is because your BMCC 2.5K does not have BRAW but CDNG. I know you can directly import CDNG in Da Vinci Resolve. You might give that a try. There are lots of tutorials on using Resolve on YouTube as well as e-books from Blackmagic website.

Also, you might want to move this post to the Da Vinci Resolve forum. You will get more help from there.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 am

Even if DNG was developed by Adobe, cDNG means nothing but trouble in Premiere.
In the BMCC 2.5K use ProRes instead.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jeffrey Chance

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:

The OP said he has a BMCC 2.5K EF camera. The BMCC does not record in BRAW, only CDNG RAW. I don’t think PPro can work directly with CDNG. Might want to check that first.

Jinson wrote:I can't important blackmagic raw braw file to adobe premier pro . I installed black magic raw 1.8.2 and black magic raw 1.6 but still I can't import . Do you know what can I do please ?

As I said above, that is because your BMCC 2.5K does not have BRAW but CDNG. I know you can directly import CDNG in Da Vinci Resolve. You might give that a try. There are lots of tutorials on using Resolve on YouTube as well as e-books from Blackmagic website.

Also, you might want to move this post to the Da Vinci Resolve forum. You will get more help from there.

It's been years, but you can actually work with CDNG raw in Premiere Pro. Requires a *very* strange workaround. Instead of importing the media normally, you have to ingest it through a different panel. There's plenty of youtube tutorials that should show you how to do this.

The small caveat is that this was back in 2015-2016, I do not know if Premiere patched the workaround or not.

Return to Post Production