Big Sur breaks UltraStudio mini Monitor??

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Big Sur breaks UltraStudio mini Monitor??

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 3:27 am

What model Mac do you have?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Ryan Wuckert

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 1:35 pm

System profiler sees the device but DTV does not see image

Has anyone had this work on monteray or ventura?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 8.07.51 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 8.07.51 AM.jpg (314.31 KiB) Viewed 4157 times

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 2:19 pm

Works for me under Monterey 12.6.6 on an Intel Mac.
What's your GPU?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

kjlongtine

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 5:53 pm

Different but the same... I have the UltraStudio Monitor 3G and cannot get it to work on 2021 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.2.1 I have tried all the tips n tricks and beyond. I get that it's sometimes impossible for BM to keep everything playing nice with every OS release that MAC does. But I am desperately seeking a solution. From what I understand there is no other device alternative that will work with Resolve and output a color grade signal (SDI/HDMI). Is that correct? I know AJA makes a similar product but I have only used that with Premiere. Is there any other converters that will work with Resolve and output from Thunderbolt 3 from the MacBook to Broadcast Monitor? I am not able to return the BM device and surrendered to brick at this point. Hoping somebody has a terminal hack that magically fixes this issue. :cry:

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 6:31 pm

@Kelly: Only BMD I/O devices work with Resolve.

There is no reason why this should not be working for you.

In Finder, open the Applications folder, and select the Blackmagic Desktop Video folder. Then run the Uninstall Desktop Video app.

If you haven't already, download the Desktop Video 12.4.2 for Mac app and run it.

After it completes installing and asks you to restart the system, it should also pop up a "System Extension Blocked" window.

At this point, you must select "Open System Settings" and it should open the Privacy & Security area, and in Security, it will say "System software from Blackmagic Desktop Video Driver Extension.app was blocked from loading". Click the Allow button.

Then back in the Install Desktop Video window, click Restart.

When it restarts, open the Desktop Video Setup app. Does it open? If you connect the US Monitor 3G, it should now show up.

If Desktop Video Setup opens, and you don't see the US Monitor 3G, then open "About This Mac" and select "More Info", scroll down to the bottom of the list and select "System Report". In the Hardware section of the System Report window, select Thunderbolt/USB4. Do you see the UltraStudio Monitor 3G listed under any of the Thunderbolt/USB4 busses? If you don't, that's an issue. That would imply you aren't using a proper Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect the US Monitor 3G to the MBP. Make sure the cable has a Thunderbolt arrow icon at both ends, and a 3 or 4.
Dwaine Maggart

kjlongtine

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 7:37 pm

[

At this point, you must select "Open System Settings" and it should open the Privacy & Security area, and in Security, it will say "System software from Blackmagic Desktop Video Driver Extension.app was blocked from loading". Click the Allow button.

I never get this notice?

If Desktop Video Setup opens, and you don't see the US Monitor 3G, then open "About This Mac" and select "More Info", scroll down to the bottom of the list and select "System Report". In the Hardware section of the System Report window, select Thunderbolt/USB4. Do you see the UltraStudio Monitor 3G listed under any of the Thunderbolt/USB4 busses? If you don't, that's an issue. That would imply you aren't using a proper Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect the US Monitor 3G to the MBP. Make sure the cable has a Thunderbolt arrow icon at both ends, and a 3 or 4.[/quote]

Yes, System Report shows that the device is there by name. Light is on device.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 8:49 pm

If you don't think you got that notice, you should uninstall Desktop Video and install it again. Hopefully you will see that message.
Dwaine Maggart

jacisme

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 5:15 pm

I recently switched from an Ultrastudio mini to a 3G in order to continue bringing my camera signal into my macbook pro (with apple silicon). I can see the signal in Blackmagic Media Express but when I try to use quicktime or VLC, it only shows up as an audio device, not a video device.

I've seen lots of people on the forum report this issue over the last few years but couldn't really find a solution. I'm running desktop video 12.4.2 and tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I did get the alert saying I needed to approve the extension in system preferences, and successfully went into system preferences and approved it and then restarted. Yet it still isn't working in Quicktime and VLC. Thoughts? It's great that it's showing up in Media Express but I really need to be able to select it as a video source in Quicktime.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 6:45 pm

Our I/O devices do not work with those apps.
Dwaine Maggart

jacisme

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 8:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Dwaine. I don't technically need to use those apps, I really just need a way to view the signal full screen on my laptop. Do you have another application you recommend that would allow me to do that? Blackmagic Media Express can go full screen as an application but I can't make the video window itself fill the entire screen.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 29, 2023 2:22 am

But they work with OBS, at least when I tried last time.
I may have to verify with current system and software.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 29, 2023 2:44 am

Right, and also Adobe Premiere and Avid Media Composer and Apple FCPX. And potentially other similar apps.

But not VLC and QuickTime Player.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 29, 2023 3:08 am

I would also note that what some people might recall, is that prior to 2013, in Desktop Video 9.8 or earlier and in Mac OSX versions prior to Mavericks, there was a Mac Extended Desktop output function, where you could send the Mac desktop GUI out the I/O device. But this ability went away with Mavericks and later Mac OS versions.
Dwaine Maggart
Previous

Return to Post Production