Help me pick the the right (4k)DeckLink/Ultrastudio solution

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Patrick Abde

Help me pick the the right (4k)DeckLink/Ultrastudio solution

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 10:12 pm

Hey!
I just got myself a new desktop!
It's an HP prebuild, nothing fancy.. but, it should be way better than the old laptop I've used until now.

I have a problem though. This desktop only has one free PCIe x1 slot + a bunch of usb 3 ports, and I don't know how to get a 4k signal out for my grading monitor..
The DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K needs at least a PCIe x4 slot, which I dont have, and the UltraStudio 4K Mini requires thunderbolt.
What alternatives do I have?
I know the DeckLink Mini Monitor HD only needs a PCIe x1 slot, but I want to know my options for 4k output specifically.
Are there any?

Here's the computer if you want to have a look.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07636463

Robert Baker

Re: Help me pick the the right (4k)DeckLink/Ultrastudio solu

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 11:48 pm

You can get the USB 3 BMD Intensity Capture card *but* that doesn't have the greatest reviews. You other options is other USB 3 hdmi (or SDI) capture cards. With that computer you don't really have many other options.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Patrick Abde

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 10:06 am

Robert Baker wrote:You can get the USB 3 BMD Intensity Capture card *but* that doesn't have the greatest reviews. You other options is other USB 3 hdmi (or SDI) capture cards. With that computer you don't really have many other options.

Do you mean the intensity shuttle? Those are just up to 1080p right? I'm wondering if 4k output is possible somehow

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 8:54 pm

There is no solution for you. 4K needs more than PCI x1 (or USB3 port) bandwidth offers.

Return to Post Production