Monitoring 8 channel LPCM audio out of Mini Monitor 4K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

praxisseizure

Monitoring 8 channel LPCM audio out of Mini Monitor 4K

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:42 am

Hi!
I am sorry if this has been beaten to death but I don't see my specific use case anywhere.

I am working out of Avid and Premiere. I'd like to de-embed audio channels 1 through 8 analog from the HDMI stream out of a 4k Mini Monitor to monitor on some Genelecs in a 7.1 config while keeping reasonable sync. It's not for audio mastering, just an offline edit scenario where we are experimenting.

Any suggestions that don't involve a receiver? Receivers are confusing and not straightforward. I just want analog audio from timeline to 7.1 Genelec active monitors and sub, in SMPTE order. I know the channel assignments are different between the programs, not a problem, already noted, Avid is backwards on the C/LFE channels in usual Avid style.

This Gefen box would be perfect and I know it works for up to 1080p60, but I don't have one to test it with UHD (which it is not rated for). Nevertheless, I only need the audio.
gefen_gtv_hdmi_2_hdmiaud_hdmi_to_hdmi_plus - I can't post links but it's on B&H as "Gefen HDMI to HDMI Audio De-Embedder with Eight LPCM Audio RCA Outputs".

I would like to do exactly what that Gefen box does but with UHD (4k) signals. Video passthrough is a bonus, I actually don't care. Need cheap-ish no nonsense, no frills, 8 channel analog audio out from the Mini Monitor 4K when in a UHD timeline.

If I'm stuck with using a receiver, then please let me know. As much as I loathe the thought, it might be my only option unless some wise soul steers me right.

Cheers and thanks!
Prax

Richard Knight

Re: Monitoring 8 channel LPCM audio out of Mini Monitor 4K

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 7:26 am

Richard Knight

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 9:59 am

I had similar requirements to you but only 5.1 and I ended up using a receiver for my active speakers as it was the easiest way to get a volume control.

Robin Erard

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 11:56 am

Robin Erard
www.rougegorge-postproduction.ch
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2831668/
Colorist, director, editor
Nord 13, 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds
Switzerland

Return to Post Production