Media Express Audio Level

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dellsam34

Media Express Audio Level

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Hello guys, I contacted the support team and they said they are unable to help me so I'm posting here in case someone has an answer for me.

I capture analog video using a video tape deck with SDI output, then I connect the deck to computer using the BM UltraStudio SDI USB 3.0 box, I use BM Media Express to ingest the video to hard drive in lossless AVI 4:2:2 720x480 NTSC, then de-interlace and upscale to 1440x1080 to upload to youtube and let youtube do its own encoding. I have a concern about the audio level, my captured videos have low volume compared to the average audio level on youtube, While capturing, the audio level in Media Express is around -15 dB, What is the right audio level for this kind of work? Can I go higher than that?

Here are my videos:
youtube.com/user/latoak34/videos
www.youtube.com/user/latoak34/videos

dellsam34

Re: Media Express Audio Level

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 12:32 am

Wow no one seem to have an idea on how much the level should be, Anyway I did some more experiments with a digital Betacam deck using pure digital SDI signal and it was showing -15dB, uploaded it to youtube and it matched the rest of youtube videos in terms of audio gain, So now I know that -15dB is the sweet spot, I have to work on my analog tape deck to see if I can boost that prior to entering into the UltraStudio SDI box, Maybe adding a unbalanced to balanced converter before the BE75 capture box that I usually use to capture my VHS tapes.

dellsam34

Re: Media Express Audio Level

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 6:42 pm

1200 views and no opinion, wow. Anyway I ended up getting this device which comes with its own 24V DC power brick:

Return to Post Production