8K ouput and monitoring via Decklink and Teranex

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Chris Detjen

8K ouput and monitoring via Decklink and Teranex

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Looking at the Decklink Pro 8K to be in our PC then sending the video to the Teranex Mini 8K and finally to the client TV. So, attempting to send a true 8K signal to a 65" or greater TV. What TV models are recommended that accept a quad link HDMI input?

I see the Teranex Mini 8K will ouput 8K but only through quad link HDMI 2.0 cables. Looking for a TV that can accept that type of HDMI setup. Considering a Samsung QN900A 65" TV. It has four HDMI inputs, but not sure if they accept quad link cables.

Can anyone recommend a proper setup to get a true 8K signal from our PC to an 8K client TV?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: 8K ouput and monitoring via Decklink and Teranex

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 7:53 am

Monitor at 4K and wait for a ‘proper’ 8K cards with HDMI 2.1.
If you really need buy this:
https://www.astrodesign.co.jp/english/product/sd-7076
which converts SDI 12G to HDMI 2.1. I assume this should work well with Decklink 8K Pro which has 4x SDI 12 outputs.
There is also this:
http://www.socionextus.com/wp-content/u ... c21_fs.pdf
which converts 4xHDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.1.
I think many 8K TVs support quad HDMI 2.0 setup for 8K. Just check manuals online. It should say there.

Chris Detjen

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Monitor at 4K and wait for a ‘proper’ 8K cards with HDMI 2.1.

Thanks for the links on the converters. I did not know those existed.

I think your suggestion of waiting for newer tech is probably best. Hopefully cards or a Teranex that supports HDMI 2.1.

The company I work for is in a hurry to deliver 8K content for in-store displays. I think you are correct that probably best to monitor at 4K. I can still output 8K files for the in-store displays. But, for the edit suite---just keep it at 4K until technology catches up.

I read a couple other posts on this forum, too, that seemed to hint at the same thing. One forum thread mentioned that quad-link HDMI was a kind of hack, or just a way to get around technological limitations.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Well, its not a hack. Just 1 signal sent over 4 separate connections, but it sucks same way as any link like this (eg. quad SDI). Its due to the lack of the bandwidth in current standards. We had same story at the beginning of 4K.
In case of a bigger company this is typically solved by finding a client(s) who "sponsors" it. You say it requires property setup and add cost of few boxes into his (or few clients like him) bill.
In my opinion you don't loose that much by monitoring in 4K.

Chris Detjen

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Its due to the lack of the bandwidth in current standards.

I noticed, too, it's difficult to find an 8K TV with documented support for quad-link HDMI. Just from shopping on B&H. Most have four HDMI inputs, but they are for separate devices. Was looking at the Samsung QN900A 65" Class HDR 8K UHD Smart QLED TV. Samsung support sent me in circles about three times and all the support reps kept referring me to the manual which doesn't state anything about quad-link HDMI support.

Point is, from my rushed experience trying to learn about 8K monitoring on 8K TV, seems technology needs to develop more. After it advances, it will be easier to set this all up.

I appreciate all the info here and in other posts regarding 8K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 7:13 pm

This model has 4x HDMI 2.1, so very possible that it doesn't support quad 8K over HDMI 2.0 (as it has 2.1 inputs). You probably would need to look at older models- they about all supported 8K over quad link as they did not have HDMI 2.1. It's very possible that with models like you mentioned quad support been dropped.

Some solution for you.
Get some Nvidia 3x card with HDMI 2.1 and this way connect to your TV. Use Nobe Display. Not perfect, but if you want direct monitoring on 8K it may do.
I have other ideas, but (sorry) not sharing for free.

Chris Detjen

PostThu Sep 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Get some Nvidia 3x card with HDMI 2.1 and this way connect to your TV. Use Nobe Display. Not perfect, but if you want direct monitoring on 8K it may do.
I have other ideas, but (sorry) not sharing for free.

Thanks very much for the free advice! I have proposal for a newer GPU with HDMI 2.1 output. I never knew about Nobe display software. But, it looks like it is worth testing. I know people here are pushing hard to have direct monitoring of 8K. I still feel the best is to monitor in 4K and output final files as 8k (your original suggestion).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 09, 2021 9:12 pm

4K is probably best option if you want eg. color accurate preview on reference display.
If you want 'any' 8K preview out of Resolve timeline Nobe Display may be simplest solution atm.

Return to Post Production