Video File Playback on Hyperdeck Mini

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

daledennis1

Video File Playback on Hyperdeck Mini

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 7:22 pm

Hello, all,
I am trying to take an MP4 video file from an editing system and put it on a Hyperdeck Recorder for playback. So far, the Hyperdeck has not recognized the edited file. I am using Pinnacle Studio 21 as my editing platform. The main source file is an MP4 recorded by the Hyperdeck.
Has anyone attempted to edit an MP4 file and put the edited file on the Hyperdeck for playback? It would be nice to be able to use the deck as a playback device as needed. Please let me know if you have done this and what the procedures are.
Thank you.
Dale Dennis

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Video File Playback on Hyperdeck Mini

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 4:38 pm

have you looked at the specs of the file recorded by the hyperdeck?

I have one of the original hyperdeck pro studio decks from around 2011 or 2012...when ever they first came out. To create a file to play back on it, the specs had to match, pretty much perfectly. It will even play back a 4k file, although it won't record one, but again, it was a bit of trial and error to create a 4k file that would play back through the deck.

daledennis1

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:48 pm

I tried to look at, and match, the specs from the Hyperdeck, but maybe the software I have doesn't show all the necessary specs? I am using HandBrake. Also, do those "specs" include a compatible filename?

My only work-around for this is to load the edited file onto a laptop computer, play the file from the HDMI output through an HDMI to SDI converter, feed the converter output into the Hyperdeck, and record the playback.

I would certainly like to find a much more straightforward option or process.
Dale

mikeah97

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 12:03 pm

I'm using the Hypedeck Studio model and for me I just use the free version of Davinci Resolve to do the render. Never had an issue. I render in stereo not 16 channel audio and that works fine.

daledennis1

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Thank you. But my question is, would you be able to take your file from Davinci Resolve and put it on an SD card, place the card in a slot for the Hyperdeck, and have the Hyperdeck play back the video file from the SD card? That is what I'm trying to achieve.
Dale

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Just try.
Problem is that Resolve has rather limited export options for h264, so if it does work then you have not much room to play with. You also should look at audio as this is also important and may be reason for file not playing.

Handbrake should rather give you access to all needed parameters to make file playing ( its default setting are nog necessarily good for you case, so you need to tweak them- limit B frames, GOP size etc).

mikeah97

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 pm

Yes I render the video in Davince Resolve then copy to a mounted SSD. I insert that SSD into the hyperdeck and plays just fine. I always format the SSD (exFat) on the Hyperdeck.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:33 pm

If it works then means BM did not put any special headers tags etc. which is good. There must be fairly good hardware AVC decoder inside then (but those are nothing special these days).
It's not always so easy.

VideonAndy

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 2:08 pm

We have been able to generate MP4 files for playback on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. The first thing to make sure is that the Record CODEC is set to MP4. If it is something else, the HyperDeck will ignore the MP4 files on the SD card.

We just use ffmpeg to encode, something like this:

Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i test_video.mp4 -c:v libx264 -profile:v main -b:v 53000k -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:a pcm_s24le test_video_studio.mov

Audio must be PCM. I don't know how picky it is with the rest of the parameters.

Return to Post Production