Shared video drive

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Marc Poirier

Shared video drive

PostWed Sep 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Good day everyone... my posting is not specific to blackmagic products, but I'm trying to find a solution to be able to use 1 Hard Drive accessible from multiple computers for editing and compositing at the same time (back in the days we used a fibre optic switch) ... But now, I have a tower, a laptop and a imac... so only the tower can have a fibre optic card...

Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Marc.
Marc Poirier, Content Producer | Mach1 Studio
System info | AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 core | 64 Gigs Ram | RTX 3090 24gigs VRam | M.2 1TB System Drive | M.2 2TB video/cache drive | 8 TB USB C External Video Drive

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Shared video drive

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Can you just share a drive on the network?...yes...will it work properly for several stations to access it at once?...no.

You need to look into a shared storage solution.

Have you looked into qnap or like products?

Your imac can certainly get an external 10g added to it via thunderbolt. The laptop probably as well.

I use a Qnap with a 10g switch, and 10g runs to two pcs running 10 g cards, an Imac 2020 with an OWC thunderbolt to 10g connector, and an old imac with thunderbolt 2 connected to 10g via a sonnet external chasis and a 10g card inside it. The price of all the connectors add up, but that's the cost of shared storage.

Return to Post Production