Import CinemaDNG .dng in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, AME

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

antoine

Import CinemaDNG .dng in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, AME

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Hi all,

We're announcing a new plugin project to import CinemaDNG .dng files, even those created by Blackmagic cameras, into Adobe CC video software : Premiere Pro, After Effects and Media Encoder. This plugin is called Influx for Adobe CC and you can find more information about it on our website here https://www.autokroma.com/Influx
With this you'll easily be able to post process .dng files directly inside Premiere Pro and After Effects without using a third party software encoder

For now, decoding CinemaDNG .dng files will be free (in BETA) until we release officially the feature. Each release of Influx with a codec in BETA (such as CinemaDNG or Magic Lantern .MLV) will allow for import and decoding this codec for up to 6 months after the date of the release. After this date, you'll need to update Influx for Adobe CC ! The goal here is to not allow for decoding a BETA codec for too long and entice you to update, while still letting you work on your current projects.

We are creating this topic to get some help from you : we need CinemaDNG file samples to test our plugin and improve the decoding of CinemaDNG files. Anyone who helps us will get a free license for Influx for Adobe CC (and it will also help in decoding others formats for Adobe CC !).

We're here if you need anything else.

Warning :!: : BRAW Studio, our Blackmagic RAW Importer for Adobe CC, does NOT import .DNG files, it only imports .BRAW files ! That's why we are creating Influx for Adobe CC, for all others formats out there.

Note : we received agreement from a moderator to open this thread. We're here to gather CinemaDNG sample files and help your post production with CinemaDNG files from Blackmagic hardware ;)
Last edited by antoine on Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Jim Simon

Re: Import CinemaDNG .dng in Adobe Premiere, After Effects,

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Premiere Pro has been able to natively import and work with the cDNG files from the original Pocket for years now.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 10:01 pm

BMD:s sample files are still available on blackmagicdesign.com.

URSA Mini 4.6K

Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
(before cDNG was replaced with Blackmagic Raw)

Blackmagic Cinema Camera
Archived on web.archive.org. These I assume are uncompressed and unlike the other files should work directly in Adobe products.

Jim Simon wrote:Premiere Pro has been able to natively import and work with the cDNG files from the original Pocket for years now.

Only until BMD released the firmware that added lossless compression in 2015.

antoine

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 9:04 am

roger.magnusson wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:Premiere Pro has been able to natively import and work with the cDNG files from the original Pocket for years now.

Only until BMD released the firmware that added lossless compression in 2015.

Exactly ! Some files still can't be imported.

Thanks for the sample files Roger, but it seems to me they are all true Adobe CinemaDNG and not the new special CinemaDNG from BMD
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

roger.magnusson

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 am

Maybe things have changed, or I'm misremembering what worked and what didn't. Either way, you can use slimRAW to create several different types. According to the slimRAW documentation you can create an Adobe compatible losslessly compressed file (there's an option for it), so maybe it's only the lossy one's that don't work now.

Johnny Harris

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 5:38 pm

Does influx support compressed DNG's? (Ursa mini RAW 4:1)
I've installed the trial but still cannot import those into AE.
Is there some specific way to import or do compressed DNGs not work yet?

Thank you

antoine

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 pm

Johnny Harris wrote:Does influx support compressed DNG's? (Ursa mini RAW 4:1)
I've installed the trial but still cannot import those into AE.
Is there some specific way to import or do compressed DNGs not work yet?

Thank you

Hi Johnny,

For now we didn't get enough feedback from users to finish this feature. Feel free to send us a reminder by email on our website !

roger.magnusson wrote:Maybe things have changed, or I'm misremembering what worked and what didn't. Either way, you can use slimRAW to create several different types. According to the slimRAW documentation you can create an Adobe compatible losslessly compressed file (there's an option for it), so maybe it's only the lossy one's that don't work now.

Great information and great product thank you for sharing

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Dec 27, 2022 4:58 pm

Do you mean Blackmagic RAW? it is not Blackmagig DNG.
Blackmagic RAW is not DNG
Johannes

antoine

PostTue Dec 27, 2022 5:38 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:Do you mean Blackmagic RAW? it is not Blackmagig DNG.

Nobody talked about Blackmagic RAW (.BRAW). Blackmagic RAW is not .DNG, it's not CinemaDNG, they are different (cf. the end of my first message, there are already plugins to import and color grade .BRAW including our own). The confusion comes from Blackmagic creating their own variant of CinemaDNG which people used to call Blackmagic Raw before, but not anymore, no one should say that anymore since we have official .BRAW now

Johannes Jonsson

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 4:24 pm

antoine wrote:
Johannes Jonsson wrote:Do you mean Blackmagic RAW? it is not Blackmagig DNG.

Nobody talked about Blackmagic RAW (.BRAW). Blackmagic RAW is not .DNG, it's not CinemaDNG, they are different (cf. the end of my first message, there are already plugins to import and color grade .BRAW including our own). The confusion comes from Blackmagic creating their own variant of CinemaDNG which people used to call Blackmagic Raw before, but not anymore, no one should say that anymore since we have official .BRAW now

Dang I miss read your post reading in a hurry.
I have seem many being confused calling BRAW Blackmagic cDNG and somehow I got your post wrong.
Johannes

Return to Post Production