Password protect video files

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Laniakea

Password protect video files

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi,

I need to distribute large video files to a client but want to password protect the files so they can only be opened/played them when I give the client a password!

Does anyone know of any such software (Im using MacOS).

PS. I think it wold be prudent for BM to include a Password protection/Encryption feature in the Deliver page.

Uli Plank

Re: Password protect video files

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 8:28 am

I doubt that exists, and then, it has to be supported by the players out there.
You can use password protection at Vimeo. And then, the usual approach is using a watermark for screeners.

You could put the video into a presentation document and password protect that. It works in Apple's Keynote and I suppose in PowerPoint too. But someone with enough knowledge will be able to extract it.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Laniakea

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 10:32 am

Uli Plank wrote:I doubt that exists, and then, it has to be supported by the players out there.
You can use password protection at Vimeo. And then, the usual approach is using a watermark for screeners.

You could put the video into a presentation document and password protect that. It works in Apple's Keynote and I suppose in PowerPoint too. But someone with enough knowledge will be able to extract it.

Thank you Uli for your response. Vimeo would not have been a solution as I am producing deliverables. However, since writing this post I have in fact found just the software!

Thanks again,

Regards.
Resolve Studio 18.6.2
MacOS 13.5.2
2 x Apple Studio Monitor
MacStudio M1 Ultra 128GB/2TB SSD 48c
BM Colour Mini Panel
2 x G-Drive Professional 7.68TB SSD (TB3)
GTEC-8TB RAID 0 (TB2)
WD 6TB HDD (USB 3)
Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre USB-C AI
3 x Yamaha HS7 (3.1)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 2:12 pm

What did you find?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Laniakea

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:What did you find?

Encrypto.
Resolve Studio 18.6.2
MacOS 13.5.2
2 x Apple Studio Monitor
MacStudio M1 Ultra 128GB/2TB SSD 48c
BM Colour Mini Panel
2 x G-Drive Professional 7.68TB SSD (TB3)
GTEC-8TB RAID 0 (TB2)
WD 6TB HDD (USB 3)
Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre USB-C AI
3 x Yamaha HS7 (3.1)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 10:15 am

It has nothing to do with video itself. It's simply an encryption software which lets you encrypt any file.
For video there isn't really such a thing as this requires not just the file encryption but also support from player side. There would have to be some 'full system'.
It's basically DRM system, which exists already but for streaming needs.
In your case simple ZIP/RAR with password (or things like Encrypto) serve the need.

Other way is using Viemo etc. with password protected preview.

JonPais

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Frame.io requires password, uses watermarks and encryption and is included in Resolve.
https://daejeonchronicles.com

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 9:48 pm

Watermarking requires enterprise plan which doesn't even have default price.
No idea why adding overlays on top of video (which they re-encode anyway) has to be such an "expensive" feature.
Frame.io is now Adobe and last months they done about nothing to the core platform. Some time ago I thought it may be a nice product, but after using it for few months it did not wow me at all. Not a polished product (and somehow don't believe Adobe will make it better).
I assume they put resources into C2C module development.

JonPais

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 3:47 am

"As far as collaboration platforms are concerned, it is the gold standard". -Matthew Allard, ACS

"I was even involved in the integration of Frame.io into DaVinci Resolve, which is one of the deepest and most compelling integrations between Frame.io and a post production application there are. I’ve long been aware of their dedication to excellence both in product workflow and product design, and I’ve been firmly of the belief that they’re at the forefront of new and exciting thinking in our industry."

"the thing that’s really cool about our Frame.io integration is the DaVinci Resolve engineering team did it. This is an internal, built-in part of Resolve. It isn’t a plug-in. It’s not an add-on. It’s fundamental to how Resolve works. And as a consequence, we’re basically using our regular UI to facilitate interoperability with Frame.io...

One other thing I’ll say is this project shot in China, and I’ve been working with my Chinese colleagues with it all along. Frame.io is one of the only video sharing services that actually goes through the Chinese firewall. Vimeo doesn’t. YouTube doesn’t. So, it was a lifesaver because I was able to actually share media with my Chinese colleagues and they were able to just log on, access it, and they didn’t have to do any weird tricks. So, that is a huge deal for me". - Alexis van Hurkman, lead workflow architect, Frame.io, author of “Color Correction Handbook,” and five editions of the DaVinci Resolve User Manual.

Frame.io is continually adding new performance enhancements and features.

JonPais

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 6:55 am

MovieLabs, a non-profit research and development joint venture founded by the major Hollywood studios - Disney, Twentieth Century Fox, Sony, Paramount, Universal and Warner Bros. - in a white paper listing objectives for the future of media creation in 2030, present as among their primary objectives a vision of a workflow where all assets are created or ingested straight into the cloud in a highly secure environment.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:06 am

JonPais wrote:"As far as collaboration platforms are concerned, it is the gold standard". -Matthew Allard, ACS

"I was even involved in the integration of Frame.io into DaVinci Resolve, which is one of the deepest and most compelling integrations between Frame.io and a post production application there are. I’ve long been aware of their dedication to excellence both in product workflow and product design, and I’ve been firmly of the belief that they’re at the forefront of new and exciting thinking in our industry."

"the thing that’s really cool about our Frame.io integration is the DaVinci Resolve engineering team did it. This is an internal, built-in part of Resolve. It isn’t a plug-in. It’s not an add-on. It’s fundamental to how Resolve works. And as a consequence, we’re basically using our regular UI to facilitate interoperability with Frame.io...

One other thing I’ll say is this project shot in China, and I’ve been working with my Chinese colleagues with it all along. Frame.io is one of the only video sharing services that actually goes through the Chinese firewall. Vimeo doesn’t. YouTube doesn’t. So, it was a lifesaver because I was able to actually share media with my Chinese colleagues and they were able to just log on, access it, and they didn’t have to do any weird tricks. So, that is a huge deal for me". - Alexis van Hurkman, lead workflow architect, Frame.io, author of “Color Correction Handbook,” and five editions of the DaVinci Resolve User Manual.

I use it every day, so you don't have to educate me how great it's.
Do you use it or just keep feeding us with these PR stories?
Some of them tell you earth is flat, start spreading this also :D Just not here please.

Adobe bought FRAME.IO mainly as an internal tool, so let's see how 3rd party integration will be kept.
Company was sold for a lot of cash: https://devoncroft.com/2021/08/25/1-275 ... -frame-io/.
Once the deal closes, Wells and Traver will join Adobe. Wells will continue to lead the Frame.io team, reporting to Scott Belsky, Adobe’s chief product officer and EVP of Creative Cloud.

Old CEO will be still looking after it, but I assume when it comes to strategic decisions Adobe will always look after their market, not 3rd party and Wells won't have much power. Let's see how long he will last at Adobe.

JonPais

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
JonPais wrote:"As far as collaboration platforms are concerned, it is the gold standard". -Matthew Allard, ACS

I use it every day, so you don't have to educate me how great it's.
Do you use it or just keep feeding us with these PR stories?
Some of them tell you earth is flat, start spreading this also :D Just not here please.

Adobe bought FRAME.IO mainly as an internal tool, so let's see how 3rd party integration will be kept.
Company was sold for a lot of cash: https://devoncroft.com/2021/08/25/1-275 ... -frame-io/.
Once the deal closes, Wells and Traver will join Adobe. Wells will continue to lead the Frame.io team, reporting to Scott Belsky, Adobe’s chief product officer and EVP of Creative Cloud.

Old CEO will be still looking after it, but I assume when it comes to strategic decisions Adobe will always look after their market, not 3rd party and Wells won't have much power. Let's see how long he will last at Adobe.
Nothing you said has any relevance. I recommend frame.io because it is integrated into Resolve and has excellent security, which the OP is looking for.

Who bought what or who remains CEO is completely irrelevant to this thread.

We're not interested in the office drama you are inventing out of thin air. You claim frame.io hasn't made any improvements since being sold to Adobe, but they only just completed the purchase five days ago. LOL

Adobe has assets in the tens of billions of dollars so they can help frame.io grow and become even more successful.

You are derailing this thread. Perhaps you could start a new topic in the OFF TOPIC section.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:59 pm

I said in last months there were not many improvements to the core app (maybe because of C2C development). Never said it had anything to do with Adobe deal which was done so recently.

Anyway- Laniakea solved his issue in very simple way. He passed encrypted file and end user will decrypt it at his end. There is really no need to go to frame.io for this and waste money (specially when it's not cheap service) :D

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 1:03 pm

JonPais wrote:MovieLabs, a non-profit research and development joint venture founded by the major Hollywood studios - Disney, Twentieth Century Fox, Sony, Paramount, Universal and Warner Bros. - in a white paper listing objectives for the future of media creation in 2030, present as among their primary objectives a vision of a workflow where all assets are created or ingested straight into the cloud in a highly secure environment.

Wow- 'Hollywood' is so smart :) No one would come with this...
And I though that 'Hollywood' still lives in era of DPX, AVID and SDI preview. I'm so wrong :lol:

JonPais

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 1:17 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
JonPais wrote:MovieLabs, a non-profit research and development joint venture founded by the major Hollywood studios - Disney, Twentieth Century Fox, Sony, Paramount, Universal and Warner Bros. - in a white paper listing objectives for the future of media creation in 2030, present as among their primary objectives a vision of a workflow where all assets are created or ingested straight into the cloud in a highly secure environment.

Wow- 'Hollywood' is so smart :) No one would come with this...
And I though that 'Hollywood' still lives in era of DPX, AVID and SDI preview. I'm so wrong :lol:
I don't think you understand, buddy. It's a ten-year vision.

Perhaps you should start your own topic rather than sidetracking this thread with your witticisms.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 1:30 pm

As far as 2 days ago you've been asked not to call people 'dude' in other thread. Buddy falls under same category.
I'm not your buddy.

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Uli Plank

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 4:34 pm

To bring this back on topic: I’m not sure if the TO is looking only for a safe way to get clips to the client.
He may want to disable any copying or further spreading, which is difficult. So, Jay, can you please write what exactly you need?
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Flexible copy protection system for general use on any device is basically non-existing.
Your only way is some streaming service with controlled access. But if someone wants to copy such a stream it's still possible even through brutal force screen recording with camera.

JonPais

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:19 pm

Uli Plank wrote:To bring this back on topic: I’m not sure if the TO is looking only for a safe way to get clips to the client.
He may want to disable any copying or further spreading, which is difficult. So, Jay, can you please write what exactly you need?
The OP writes:

"I need to distribute large video files to a client but want to password protect the files so they can only be opened/played them when I give the client a password!"

This is precisely what a video collaboration platform like frame.io with TPN and SOC 2 Type 2 data protection is all about.
Last edited by JonPais on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:36 pm

And somehow he used simple encryption app, sent encrypted file to client with password and sorted his need :D
Encrypto is using AES-256 encryption, so good luck breaking it.
If you can see video= you can copy it (in better or worse quality), so TPN and SOC 2 Type 2 data protection is useless anyway (if you don't trust person who gets password).

If it's a matter of securely passing master to your client then you really don't need frame.io and costs related to it.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonPais

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:37 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:TPN and SOC 2 Type 2 data protection is useless anyway (if you don't trust person who gets password).
Why on earth would anyone give the password to someone they don't trust? Your comment doesn't make sense.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:42 pm

Using frame.io in this case doesn't make sense as it just adds extra steps and relatively high costs (for a sake of passing file from place to place). Pointless.
It's like saying to someone who needs to do single trip to shop to buy bread to buy a Ferrari.
Maybe local bus is enough? :D

JonPais

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:45 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Using frame.io in this case doesn't make sense as it just adds extra steps and relatively high costs (for a sake of passing file from place to place). Pointless.
It's like saying to someone who needs to do single trip to shop to buy bread to buy a Ferrari.
Maybe local bus is enough? :D
You failed to answer the question, buddy.

The cost of a plan is just a few cents more than I currently pay for VPN. I guess I'm not poor.

Not the same as buying a Ferrari. smh

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 4:58 am

Keep it civil please and don't get (passive) aggressive towards each other. 2020/2021 has been hard for most of us, choose kindness please.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Laniakea wrote:Hi,
I need to distribute large video files to a client but want to password protect the files so they can only be opened/played them when I give the client a password! Does anyone know of any such software (Im using MacOS).

You didn't specify what you meant by "distribute" (did you mean send or share over a network?). If you meant send the large files, this is fairly simple to do without any third party software.

1. Put the video files you want to encode into a folder.
2. Open Disk Utility (command + spacebar type disk utility).
3. File > New Image > From folder
4. Select the folder in step 1.
5. Name the disk image, then at the bottom drop down menus, select your encryption level (128 or 256).
6. Enter the password.

Now you can send that encrypted disk image in a hard drive to a client, or you can put the .dmg file on dropbox or Google drive for them to download (you described the files as large, so I'm going to assume that this is not a viable solution), and practically no one will be able to open the video files without the password. Don't know if Windows can open .dmg files though, so it would be best if the client also has a Mac.\

Return to Post Production