DNG files and LUTs.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

antioli

DNG files and LUTs.

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 pm

I've looked around and I can't find a solution to this. I know there were no workarounds 6 years ago but I would be a little surprised if that's still the case.

So here's the issue: When I take a still, my BMPC6K pro applies a LUT to said still. I don't want a LUT, I want the flat, Film color profile.

1. I can't see an option to turn it off.

2. Lightroom won't let me unselect it.

3. The LUT is still applied to the DNG whether or not I'm using a LUT.

4. And the oddest part: It's not even the LUT I'm using. I imported a custom one and it's using the default one (Gen 5 or something.)

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm missing a crucial bit of info. I could always export BRAW stills with the right color profile but then why even take stills?

Any clarification would be great.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: DNG files and LUTs.

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 10:51 pm

There's no "look LUT" in our DNGs, what you are finding is that each application decodes DNG with a look the app developer has chosen (for Lightroom this is Adobe's look etc) and we can't control it - this is one of the reasons we wanted to move away from DNG. I looked into creating DNG Profiles for BMDFilm etc years ago but due to the order of processing in the Adobe DNG SDK it is not possible to get it 100% correct.

If you want to decode a DNG as BMDFilm I would open it in Resolve (since Resolve is our app we can control what happens with DNGs in there) and chose the option in the RAW panel.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

antioli

Re: DNG files and LUTs.

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 5:19 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm starting to get the hang of color science/color spaces. It's really interesting. Thanks!

Return to Post Production