Issues Sharing Blackmagic Footage

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

vg_andersen5

Issues Sharing Blackmagic Footage

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 8:00 pm

I am trying to share Blackmagic footage with my group for a student project. I don't have DaVinci Resolve... not sure if that's what the issue is. However, when I try to send even just one video file it takes hours and I am wondering if there is a faster, more efficient way to share the files?

Uli Plank

Re: Issues Sharing Blackmagic Footage

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 4:54 am

Record in ProRes or convert. BRAW has very efficient compression, but it's still large.
If you want to only see BRAW, there's a player which comes with the free version of Resolve.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

Re: Issues Sharing Blackmagic Footage

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 7:55 am

vg_andersen5 wrote:I am trying to share Blackmagic footage with my group for a student project. I don't have DaVinci Resolve... not sure if that's what the issue is. However, when I try to send even just one video file it takes hours and I am wondering if there is a faster, more efficient way to share the files?

If your footage is in BRAW or Prores and size is the limiting factor for sharing, and if post processing is inconsequential, then I suggest downloading the free version of DaVinci Resolve and encoding the BRAW file to something like H.264 file with a low bit rate. Those files will be small enough to share via Dropbox or Google drive. You can upload it to YouTube as well and share it there.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production