Cintel HDR question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Nick Lavigne

Cintel HDR question

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 9:49 pm

With the Cintel scanner the HDR system works by rewinding the film and scanning it again. My question is, how good is the accuracy of this process (due to natural movement) when it comes to the rubber capstan model. I assume sprockets would make this more accurate. However rubber capstans are far safer on old film.

As for accuracy, any visual double exposure (ghosting) would be unacceptable, so I am looking for an honest answer when it comes to the c-drive, but s-drive would also be interesting to hear.

I am kinds shocked Blackmagic didn't have the system take both pictures before progressing to the next frame.

James Little

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cintel HDR question

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 11:29 pm

Hi Nick,

the accuracy comes from the firmware based image stabiliser, not the mechanics. For HDR to work well it has to be accurate to the pixel, which it is, else you see ghosting.

It is a continuous motion scanner, thus you can't take two images fast enough. The old scanners used to have stop and go motion which was very harsh on the film and required all manner of other nasty processes to accomodate that (i.e. clamp gates etc..).

Return to Post Production