unreadable SSD from Hyperdeck Studio12G

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael Wright

unreadable SSD from Hyperdeck Studio12G

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 7:22 pm

We have been using Studio12G recorders to SSDs (1 TB size, ExFAT format, ProRes Proxy) but occasionally we have found some of the SSDs are unreadable. Connecting to a PC using USB adapter it shows on the computer i.e. Drive D but a window pops up, "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use it." I cancel that which another window pops up, "The volume does not contain a recognized file system."

This doesn't happen all the time, it seems about once every five SSDs. We used to format in HFS+ when we used Macs for video editing and never had issues.

I talked to a couple of our computer people, one said format is OK but files show as raw which indicates the files somehow got corrupted. Another examined using other OS including Linux which he said the files were corrupted.

They suggested we first stop recording before removing the SSDs. I assume that was happening already but maybe not. So could files get damaged if SSD were to be removed from Studio12G while being recorded?

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Uli Plank

Re: unreadable SSD from Hyperdeck Studio12G

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 2:08 am

[quote="Michael Wright"]So could files get damaged if SSD were to be removed from Studio12G while being recorded?/quote]

For sure.
And then, maybe you are better off recording HFS+ and getting a software like Paragon to read it under Windows.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Post Production