Multichannel audio ProRes in Media Express

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

timrwh

Multichannel audio ProRes in Media Express

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 5:04 pm

Hi,

I'm using a Media Express to play back ProRes 422 HD video though an Ultrastudio Monitor 3G. This works fine for ProRes files with stereo audio, but when I try to import one with 6 channel (5.1) audio, I get the error message attached. The files are created with the latest version of Premiere Pro CC.

This seems strange as the interface and software do appear to support multichannel audio.

Can anyone help please? To any Blackmagic staff - is the import of ProRes files with multichannel audio supported? If not can I make a feature request, please? :)

Thanks,

Tim
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 16.59.38.png
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 16.59.38.png (53.52 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Multichannel audio ProRes in Media Express

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 3:20 pm

When you export use 6x mono tracks not single 5.1 track. I think it has to be also 24bit. You may also find that you need 8 tracks even if some will be silent.
File itself needs to be also in one of the supported formats (there is no conversion possible), so for example if card is not 50/60p capable then 50/60p files won't load. Resolution needs to be also HD or SD etc. as per supported standards (not some custom resolution files).

timrwh

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 10:11 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply - I've just tried this with no luck I'm afraid. I tried both 6 "mono" and "discrete" channels in Premiere's export option and 16 and 24 bit resolutions. I can't try 8 channels as it's not an available option (for a 5.1 project, at least).

I would expect all this to be supported as part of the device's advertised "ProRes 422" support, really. I suppose I could use Premiere Pro for clip playback but that requires every device to have Adobe CC installed which isn't really practical.

And just for clarity, I'm confident this is an audio issue as exporting to Stereo on the same project works (but not 2 channel, interestingly and probably significantly!).

Can I get some input on this from Blackmagic please? (Sorry, unless you are a staff member, Andrew!)

Thanks,

Tim
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 09.57.43.png
Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 09.57.43.png (68.32 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 6:50 pm

Grab is wrong- it creates 1x multichannel track and you need 6x mono.

Use Mono track and keep hitting+ sign until you have 6 of them.
If you need to test 8 channels then add 2 empty mono tracks in your timeline or 1 empty 5.1 (then you will have 12 channels, but you can just use 8).
Test also 8 channels as multichannel (so as in your grab).

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 19.48.09.png
Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 19.48.09.png (62.41 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 8:39 pm

timrwh wrote:Can I get some input on this from Blackmagic please? (Sorry, unless you are a staff member, Andrew!)
]
Tim, Don't get your hopes high for someone from Blackmagic to respond or assist you here unless it has some bearing to a larger issue that they are interested on or need feedback. The better way is to contact them via their website support page. What you get here may be help from folks who are product users that either have encountered the same issue and have figured it out or experience users who are just kind to help, majority if at on almost all, are not working for Blackmagic. It is a user forum after all. I just don't want you to feel frustrated if BM does not answer.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timrwh

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 9:56 am

Thanks, Andrew - that's it! Working now. (For interest, it does work with 6 x 16 bit mono channels.)

I need to test to see if a TV / AV amp connected to the HDMI output of the Ultrastudio Monitor 3G detects the output correctly as 5.1, fingers crossed.

It's a shame a single 5.1 stream isn't supported though as I have lots of footage exported in this format. (My usual workflow is importing the ProRes files into DCP-O-Matic for use in the cinema, and that does work with a single 5.1 stream.)

Thanks for the heads up re. Blackmagic not monitoring this forum, Ellory. I'll email them via the Support site with my feature request.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 2:42 pm

You most likely won't have luck with AV receiver. There have been reports with same issue- that 5.1 can't be recognised by a HDMI receiver.
For this you would need a single track flagged as 5.1. Solution could be some HDMI box with ability to convert mono tracks to single 5.1 track. I've pointed to such a (possible) devices in other thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=137944

Some BM devices have now a setting to present a proper 5.1 stream on HDMI.
You would just have to create file with correct order. I assume it takes 1-6 channels and maps them according to this setting. Whole thing is bit convoluted, but this is due to mixing pro/broadcast equipment with home one.
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 15.46.02.png
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 15.46.02.png (379.79 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

Other solution would be to use some pro player which allows to map channels and send them over BM card to your receiver. This is probably possible even with ffmpeg/ffplay. Question is: does BM SDK allow to get 5.1 flagged track on HDMI output for their cards? It's possible that you can't do such a thing at all.

timrwh

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks, that's a shame, but makes sense. I've checked and the Monitor 3G doesn't have the Audio Mapping setting, sadly.

I've opened a support case with Blackmagic to request the single 5.1 audio stream import support anyway.

Thanks again,

Tim

timrwh

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 11:38 am

My feature request has been accepted - good speedy support from Blackmagic there! I'll post back here when I can get this working.

Return to Post Production