Built-in hardware calibration Question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

cstn40

Built-in hardware calibration Question

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 6:04 pm

I’m trying to understand Monitors-Color Calibration with “Built-in” Hardware calibration colorimeters. I have a new Dell UP3221Q monitor which has a “Calman Powered” built-in colorimeter. I’m sure it all works as intended but I am new to the built-in colorimeter world, and I can’t seem to figure out how to have any confidence with the built-in calibration. I have the monitor connected to a 2019 Mac Pro.

This monitor calibrates to Its own internal hardware / software. In other words, it can calibrate without being connected to any computer. I know the Mac/gpu has some influence to the color profile via Colorsync, so my question is, How does the monitor — when calibrating— take in to account any color influence that comes out of the Mac/GPU when the calibration process does not include the display output of the Mac Pro/GPU ? P.S. no one at Dell has been able to answer this question.

From what I can tell, the monitor does not report back to the Mac any LUT/profile once it has run through the calibration process. In the old days, I’d use an external colorimeter, which took into account the Mac/ LUT/Colorsync profile, so you adjusted for the entire image display path. —Uggg what am I missing

Any help would be very (very) much appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Kaannn

Re: Built-in hardware calibration Question

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 7:29 pm

This is where the bmd ultra studio monitor devices come to play. They connect to your mac thru thunderbolt and have an output of sdi/hdmi. This bypasses the color management of your os/gpu, and thus gives the cleanest signal possible. You can use displaycal with an external probe to send test patterns over the ultra studio monitor, make a 3D lut, and send this lut thru a lut box or to the internal lut of the monitor. Or you use the internal calibration of the monitor if its accurate enough.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M2011K2C met Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 09, 2022 12:16 am

You just need to feed it a 'pure' signal. For that, you'll need an interface by BM. I use the UltraStudio 3G.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

cstn40

PostSun Jan 09, 2022 1:59 am

Thanks Uli,
I hadn't though of pulling the OS/gpu out of the path. I'll head over to the BMD site and have a look. I need a solution that can do HRD10 in 4k. I have a gig coming up that is all HDR. My alternative was to dump the Dell (which is HRD10 certified) and go back to NEC

Looks like a DeckLink miniMonitor 4k is the right choice for me. Thanks for the kick in the head -- to realize that I can simply avoid the OS/GPU....

Thanks a lot,
Craig

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 am

Not only can, but should!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Post Production