Decklink Mini Recorder 4K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

BlackDog79!

Decklink Mini Recorder 4K

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 11:18 pm

On your webpage for this product, these are the supported capture codecs:

AVC-Intra, AVCHD, Canon XF MPEG2, Digital SLR, DV-NTSC, DV-PAL, DVCPRO50, DVCPROHD, DPX, HDV, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, XDCAM HD422, DNxHR & DNxHD, Apple ProRes 4444, Apple ProRes 422 HQ, Apple ProRes 422, Apple ProRes LT, Apple ProRes 422 Proxy, Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2, Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2.

Which of these, if any, besides the Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2, is a 10 bit codec that I would be able to record in using this card in a Windows 10 machine? Or would I only be able to record in 8 bit?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Decklink Mini Recorder 4K

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 11:00 am

This info is totally misleading and related to "nothing" regardless card itself..
On Windows you have uncompressed and MJPEG.
On OSX you have ProRes as well.
Nothing stops you record 8bit as 10but uncompressed. It's fine just huge files. MJPEG with high setting is okish.
For capturing to desired codec you need to buy some capture app which works with BM card (eg. METUS). There are some options, but if you want RS-422 control all of them are rather expensive. If you want crash capture than ffmpeg can do it.

roger.magnusson

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 11:43 am

If you don't need more than HD/2K you can also capture using DaVinci Resolve with some additional codecs.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 12:19 pm

Additional is DNxHD for PC.

BlackDog79!

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 12:41 am

Here is my problem and why I posted the question. I have a Canon C200 camera I was going to use with the card, which can output both 8 and 10 bit via its SDI and HDMI ports. I was hoping the card installation would install some additional 10 bit codecs that I could save to as the video/audio stream is captured. I want to capture in 10 bit. My impression from the Black Magic website page that listed all the codecs supported by the card was that the card would allow capture for only one 10 bit codec, but that particular codec would produce such huge files as to be impractical. Was this impression correct? Are you saying I could install certain other codecs not on the black magic list that the Media Express software for the card would allow me to use? And are you saying I could somehow capture directly in Davinci Resolve with this card, and use the codecs available to me in the Deliver Tab, like DNx HR HQ 10 bit. to capture in DaVinci as well?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 10:03 am

Card is just a hardware- it has no codecs (ignore this missleading line on BM website).
You can use card with many apps (including free and simple MediaExpress) and they can offer you 'codecs'. Extending your card capabilities means installing (and paying) for software which can use BM card. There is no codec which you can install etc. BM gives you for free just huge uncompressed 10bit and DNxHD in Resolve. You install 3rd party app and this gives you extra functionality and codecs.

Your camera records internally many codecs including RAW. Why do you want to capture signal from camera over HDMI/SDI? This is just totally unnecessary complication. You record files to card and transfer to your machine. If you want best quality use Canon RAW format (you just need CFast card), which Resolve will read. If you don't want RAW then your next best format is XF-AVC- good quality, not huge files and Resolve reads it.
No idea why you're trying to go over BM card to get data out of your camera.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am

On Windows in Media Express the capture codecs are quite limited. There are three 10-bit codecs; QuickTime Uncompressed, AVI v210 lossless and DPX. They all require a lot of storage.

In DaVinci Resolve you can capture to 10-bit DNxHD (not DNxHR), but you can't capture 4K/UHD.

The capture codecs aren't dictated by the hardware, it's up to the software to do the encoding so you could look for any DeckLink-compatible software. For a free and simple app you could try OBS Studio, but I haven't checked how it handles 10-bit. It might be 8-bit internally even if encoded to a 10-bit codec.

Return to Post Production