No Device using Decklink Mini 4K + Monterey 12.3 + Premiere

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

chicoray

No Device using Decklink Mini 4K + Monterey 12.3 + Premiere

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 11:22 am

Hello,

I'm running into a problem with my Decklink Mini Monitor 4K PCI

The last usable driver for me was Desktop Video 11.7
But this driver is not working with premiere pro on macos12.3
(in the playback section of preferences, Blackmagic is not showing)

If i install the latest driver 12.2.3 supposed to correct the Premiere Pro problem, my Decklink card is not showing into the Desktop Video pref panel... however, it's showing into Premiere Pro, for some reason..

Is there a way to make this thing work ?
I've never been able to make my Decklink Mini Monitor 4K work on newer driver than 11.7, starting from 12.0, it would say "No Device".. Is there a firmware update or something ?

Thansk for reading, I'm having headaches..

Benjamin McGuire

Re: No Device using Decklink Mini 4K + Monterey 12.3 + Premi

PostWed Apr 13, 2022 1:24 am

I can confirm! Starting with Desktop Video 12.2, the Decklink Mini 4K drivers are missing, at least for Big Sur and Monterrey.

But for some reason, they install on Mojave. Note, Windows Version installed drivers just fine too.

Must be a bug in the installer, as the Decklink Mini 4K is listed in the Supported devices for all the version of 12.3.

So, the fix is to install Desktop Video 12.1 for now.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 build 4
MacOS 12.3.1 (21E258)

i7-7800X. 32GB RAM
Asus X299-A MB
AMD Vega 64
DeckLink Mini Mon4K

(1) LG 31MU97C-B 4K (4096x2160)-Grading + (1) Sharp LC-55LBU591U-client/HDR Color (4kHDMI Split)

chicoray

PostSat Apr 23, 2022 5:20 pm

Hi,

If it can help anyone, I managed to get Decklink Mini Monitor 4K in Premiere in Menterey 12.3 by installing successively Desktop Video 12.2.3 and 11.7 without ever uninstalling, and i did that several times.

I wouldn't say it's a "fix", but it's at least a "workaround".

Have a good day

TvOps007

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 6:23 pm

I'm having this same issue. 2019 MacPro tower, Decklink Mini Monitor 4k, Monterey 12.3, Premiere. The Blackmagic Video app recognizes it, but in macOS System Information under PCI, the device does not show up. Of course Premiere does not see it either.

Flame922

PostMon May 23, 2022 5:06 pm

same problem here. Hackintosh in OS Monterey. Desktop version in 12.1, the card is well recognized in the system preferences. In Resolve, the card is also recognized, and everything works fine with perfect playback. However, in Premiere, the card is not recognized at all. Any update on this problem? Thanks to all

Benjamin McGuire

PostMon May 23, 2022 6:05 pm

I figured out a "fix" that works with the latest drivers!!!

After install, before rebooting, open terminal, and paste this:
Code: Select all
sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions

Then allow it to load. It should prompt you to do that after the step above,

This will install the Kext, as the new non-kext way does not include the drivers for Decklink Mini 4K.

I can't wait for @Support to fix the drivers correctly :)
MacOS 12.3.1 (21E258)

i7-7800X. 32GB RAM
Asus X299-A MB
AMD Vega 64
DeckLink Mini Mon4K

(1) LG 31MU97C-B 4K (4096x2160)-Grading + (1) Sharp LC-55LBU591U-client/HDR Color (4kHDMI Split)

akwant

PostFri May 27, 2022 3:30 pm

Benjamin McGuire wrote:I figured out a "fix" that works with the latest drivers!!!

After install, before rebooting, open terminal, and paste this:
sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions

Then allow it to load. It should prompt you to do that after the step above,

This will install the Kext, as the new non-kext way does not include the drivers for Decklink Mini 4K.

I can't wait for @Support to fix the drivers correctly :)

Thanks! That was brilliant! I used your tip to get my Ultrastudio Mini Monitor working with Big Sur on a 27" 5K iMac. All the other methods (disabling csrutil to fully uninstall a previous installation) didn't do the trick. This did.

Benjamin McGuire

PostFri May 27, 2022 11:35 pm

akwant wrote:
Thanks! That was brilliant! I used your tip to get my Ultrastudio Mini Monitor working with Big Sur on a 27" 5K iMac. All the other methods (disabling csrutil to fully uninstall a previous installation) didn't do the trick. This did.

Feel Free to upgrade to Monterrey, as this fix works on Monterrey also!
MacOS 12.3.1 (21E258)

i7-7800X. 32GB RAM
Asus X299-A MB
AMD Vega 64
DeckLink Mini Mon4K

JT_NYC

PostThu Apr 27, 2023 11:19 pm

Update, just about a year later:

Sincerest thanks Benjamin M., as your discovery above is still the only solution I could find--in Ventura now-- to get Resolve working w/ my DeckLink card and enable (fix) Desktop Video Setup.

But, to get BACK function w/ Premiere Pro, After Effects, & Final Cut Pro, I had to make this change (going back and doing this instead of what you did):

sudo cp -R /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

...that is, COPY rather than move the extension, so there are two copies total, each in a different folder (note you need the "-R" for "recursive", as kexts are technically directories not files).

I really, really didn't want to have duplicates of that kext. But I tried using a symbolic link instead, and no go. This was the only way that worked. I currently have the setup app recognizing the DeckLink 4K; and Resolve, Premiere, FCP, & AE outputting to it.

Benjamin McGuire

PostTue May 09, 2023 1:48 am

Interesting... I upgraded to Ventura today, and installed the latest drivers.

I tried my way, and my card works in everything. I did reboot, then ran me command, then it prompted me to authorize the update in system settings, then rebooted...

The copy method may cause some craziness on an upgrade... just make sure you do it again.

I am SHOCKED that blackmagic hasn't fixed it yet though.

JT_NYC wrote:Update, just about a year later:

Sincerest thanks Benjamin M., as your discovery above is still the only solution I could find--in Ventura now-- to get Resolve working w/ my DeckLink card and enable (fix) Desktop Video Setup.

But, to get BACK function w/ Premiere Pro, After Effects, & Final Cut Pro, I had to make this change (going back and doing this instead of what you did):

sudo cp -R /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

...that is, COPY rather than move the extension, so there are two copies total, each in a different folder (note you need the "-R" for "recursive", as kexts are technically directories not files).

I really, really didn't want to have duplicates of that kext. But I tried using a symbolic link instead, and no go. This was the only way that worked. I currently have the setup app recognizing the DeckLink 4K; and Resolve, Premiere, FCP, & AE outputting to it.
MacOS 12.3.1 (21E258)

i7-7800X. 32GB RAM
Asus X299-A MB
AMD Vega 64
DeckLink Mini Mon4K

sines

PostWed Oct 11, 2023 3:15 am

May I ask which version of Desktop Video are you using with a Hackintosh and also, which Ventura release?

Benjamin McGuire wrote:Interesting... I upgraded to Ventura today, and installed the latest drivers.

I tried my way, and my card works in everything. I did reboot, then ran me command, then it prompted me to authorize the update in system settings, then rebooted...

The copy method may cause some craziness on an upgrade... just make sure you do it again.

I am SHOCKED that blackmagic hasn't fixed it yet though.

JT_NYC wrote:Update, just about a year later:

Todd Sines, director
+ SCALE
http://scale.la | http://toddsines.com
connecting the space between + within.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostTue Nov 07, 2023 2:20 pm

sines wrote:May I ask which version of Desktop Video are you using with a Hackintosh and also, which Ventura release?

Desktop video 12.1
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

samirbenmidani

PostWed Nov 22, 2023 12:31 pm

simply execute DesktopVideoHelper located in default install folder just after normal software installation
enjoy

Olivier MATHIEU

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 6:55 am

samirbenmidani wrote:simply execute DesktopVideoHelper located in default install folder just after normal software installation
enjoy

Can you elaborate ?
Thanks
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

olartyart

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 10:24 pm

This may not be the right place, but I have an older intensity pro pcie card in my hackintosh running ventura 13.5 and the latest version of desktop video. everything works on the output and it can recognize the card but I can't see any video when inputed into the HDMI in. I know it works cause in windows it works just fine. I have tried 3-4 different cameras and input devices and not show up. I have tried every video format and resolution to no avail. I have searched it up and down and can not find a solution. hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

Return to Post Production