Reference monitor not turning black

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Reference monitor not turning black

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 9:36 pm

I just upgraded my Desktop Video to version 12.3. Now when I am not in playback or exit out of DVR, my reference monitor displays a solid green instead of a black (or blank) screen which it did before the upgrade. Here is my settings on the Desktop Video Setup and I am connected via HDMI to the DeckLink Mini Monito 4K. Any idea what I should do to fix that?

decklink1.JPG
decklink1.JPG (69.77 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Marc Wielage

Re: Reference monitor not turning black

PostSun May 08, 2022 3:25 am

This can indicate a YUV vs. RGB setting somewhere in the setup. Are you using dual-link or single-link connections? HD-SDI or HDMI?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ellory Yu

PostTue May 10, 2022 5:22 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:This can indicate a YUV vs. RGB setting somewhere in the setup. Are you using dual-link or single-link connections? HD-SDI or HDMI?

My workspace monitors are dual like and connected to one of the GPU cards. The Reference monitor is a single link connected to the DeckLink using HDMI.
I found that by selecting the convert color space to YCBCR under the SDI Output instead of the RGB took care of it. What puzzles me is that I am connected via HDMI but that option is in for SDI Output.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostSat May 14, 2022 3:51 pm

Well I thought that I had fixed the issue as mentioned above. But now when I exit Resolve my reference monitor displays a solid green instead of going black. Not sure what’s causing that to happen there.

Philip Kapadia

PostMon May 23, 2022 8:56 pm

Could you downgrade the desktop video driver back down to what it was to confirm that it is in fact the update that caused this?

If it works fine with the older version, I would think it's a very specific bug with your hardware/software setup.

If you deselect the I/O card in resolve's I/O management settings, do you get a black screen or a green one? I'm trying to re-create the issue in another place.
Editing Movie Magic.
Freelance Film Editor // Technical Expert
Avid Media Composer // DaVinci Resolve Studio 18
philipkapadia.com

Return to Post Production